25.4 flat handlebar advice

paul_mck
paul_mck Posts: 1,058
edited March 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hi all can anyone recommend me some proper straight handlebars? Must be 25.4mm stem and 500mm ish.

Currently using Charge Straw 440mm wide ones but would like a little more width. I saw these on ebay but seems pretty expensive for what youre getting. £36.50

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/260942559134

All I can find is 5deg ones no flat ones. Any help appreciated :)

Comments

• benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Easton EA30s are cheap and good quality. Can be found for as little as £15 online and in the exact dimensions you want (when cut down!)
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • IShaggy
    IShaggy Posts: 301
    25.4 handlebars are few and far between these days. Upgrade your stem to a 31.8 and the handlebar world will be your oyster. 31.8 handlebars are in theory stiffer than 25.4 - so there's good reason for the upgrade.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    BBB make some nice light flat bars, the 25.4 fibretop are 111g and 580mm. Use them on my commuter.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • paul_mck
    Thanks guys will check them out!
    IShaggy wrote:
    25.4 handlebars are few and far between these days. Upgrade your stem to a 31.8 and the handlebar world will be your oyster. 31.8 handlebars are in theory stiffer than 25.4 - so there's good reason for the upgrade.

Not an option really as I cant get the gearshifters in close enough with a 31.8 due to the taper down to 25mm.
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    I've got some bonty flat bars in the garage that I won years ago, they've done about 20 miles since new you can have em for a tenner if you like? Let me .know if you're interested and I'll find out the specs. They're proper old school xc bars.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • paul_mck
    yeah be keen if they fit the bill mate cheers.
  • prawny
    Found em!

They're T6 alloy 560mm wide 5 deg bend as well though, not dead straight they're only for hipsters and you used to get them on shitty bikes in the mid 90s
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • paul_mck
    ah thanks mate but want dead straight ones cheers
  • prawny
    Nay bother.
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • paul_mck
    the charge ones are sold by wiggle but too narrow (440mm)

those look perfect wonder is there a UK supplier.
  • prawny
    They used to be pretty prevalent on cheaper bikes when I were a lad. I had a Raleigh team edition in 95ish that had a straight bar and I remember it being a regular criticism of cheap finishing kit. Like I said though that was nearly 20 years ago and riser bars weren't commercially available.

God when did I get so old!!!!!
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • RevellRider
    RevellRider Posts: 1,794
    paul_mck wrote:

You'd need a different stem for those as Deda is either 26mm or 31.7mm. The only thing i can think of are some Nitto bars from here: http://www.velosolo.co.uk/shopbar.html

Supersonic, the only other straight bar I can think of is the old X-lite XLR Pro titanium bars
  • paul_mck
    I think I'm ok as I actually use a 31.8 stem with adapters to drop to 25.4.

It's mad I know!