Tubular punctures?

AndyD2574
AndyD2574 Posts: 1,034
edited March 2012 in Workshop
Just abouit to press the button on a set of tubular rims.
If I am out and about and puncture...................I can carry a spare tub abd just take it easy or is there an alternative?

Is there a 'no flats' kind of stuff I can use that will plug the puncture??

Cheers
Specialized S Works Venge
Argon18 E114
Specialized Langster Single Speed
Scott Spark Expert 29'er
GT Avalanche
http://www.glasgowgreencycleclub.co.uk

Comments

• Velonutter
    Velonutter Posts: 2,437
    Try these for when you have had a puncture and are home http://www.tubular-repairs.com/

Good service and including postage about £15

Whilst out I use Pit stop, not had to use it myself but seen it used loads of times and it works on small punctures.
  • markp2
    markp2 Posts: 162
    I carry a spare tub. Takes around 3 mins to change in decent conditions on the side of the road. I have used Stans NoTubes latex liquid in my tubs which seals regular punctures but allows the pressure to fall to about 80psi before working.
    Don't leave sealant in tubs which are going to be tightly folded for any length of time. I have just discovered that the latex tubes in two of my tubs which were taped up tightly have been glued together by the sealant over the winter period and went pop when I tried to fill with air.
    +1 for Mr Burgin at tubular repairs. Quick efficient service. He normally writes me a letter with my returned tyres saying how evil I am for using a sealant in tubs!
    Genesis Croix de Fer - my new commuting mount
    Saracen Hytrail - the workhorse - now pensioned off
    Kinetic-One FK1 roadie - the fast one - hairy legs though!
    Cannondale Jekyll Lefty MTB - the muddy one which keeps tipping me into gorse bushes!
  • AndyD2574
    AndyD2574 Posts: 1,034
    Nice one.
    So carry either a spare tub or a cannister of 'gunky stuff!'

Last question..................Zipp have just brought out the firecrest profile...............I am probably getting the 'old' profile!

Whats the major difference...............just the rime shape??
    Specialized S Works Venge
    Argon18 E114
    Specialized Langster Single Speed
    Scott Spark Expert 29'er
    GT Avalanche
    http://www.glasgowgreencycleclub.co.uk
  • tremayne
    tremayne Posts: 378
    Not knocking any decision on your part - but using tubs for going 'out and about' is perhaps overkill?!!

Yes - they are amazing things, but the cost can seriously add up! I've given up using them on anything other than racing.
  • Velonutter
    markp2 wrote:
    ....+1 for Mr Burgin at tubular repairs. Quick efficient service. He normally writes me a letter with my returned tyres saying how evil I am for using a sealant in tubs!

lol Yep he did the very same to me, with diagrams and cut off pieces of tubing :mrgreen:
  • Velonutter
    tremayne wrote:
    Not knocking any decision on your part - but using tubs for going 'out and about' is perhaps overkill?!!

Yes - they are amazing things, but the cost can seriously add up! I've given up using them on anything other than racing.

I know what you mean, when I used to race seriously in the 70's we rode Clements and the feel of silk was unbelievable, I have to admit having built a pair of Chinese 50mm Carbons and buying a pair of Bora's that it is so tempting to stay on them all the time.

So I'm going to take a gamble this year and ride tubs whenever it is dry and just avoid using them in crap weather or when the farmers are doing their annual hedge cutting.

I'm currently using Conti Sprinter Gatorskins, and with 130psi in the front and 140psi in the rear, it should hopefully reduce the amount of punctures.
  • Yossie
    Yossie Posts: 2,600
    I'm with you on this one - I use Conti Sprinter tuibs (non Gatorskin) whenever it is dry whether I am racing, trundling, posing or fast riding.

Go for it - we all graft our backsides off enough doing stuff we don't like all day: the time we have spare to enjoy ourselves then enjoy it to the full.

No point in having a set of Zipps and tubs in the garage on the wall and riding around on other wheels if you ask me.

Those pressures should be fine - just keep an eye out, as you have said, for clippings and other general road trash - don't ride in the gutters, that sort of thing, but you seem to know the score already.
  • Velonutter
    Cheers Yossie, not sure how long you've been around, but if you were around in the 70's the choice was beautiful tubs or 27 1/4 hp's that were horrible, going back to riding clinchers feels just as bad...lol :shock:

Got a few days in Majorca coming up so will see how they fare over there. :mrgreen: