105STi 10sp with XTR rear changer?

cpeachey
cpeachey Posts: 1,057
edited April 2012 in Workshop
I am planning to get new 105 10sp STi levers, an XT 11-34(36?) 10sp cassette and KMC chain, all new to work with an existing XTR changer, about 4yrs old. Will this setup work "out-of-the-box"
Chris

Comments

• maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    it's a fair mix but should be okay. A 11-36 may be a stretch for the mech though.

I recently set up a 10spd STI with a 11-32 10spd cassette and MTB mech and it was pretty much okay. A small overshift issue but once I'd adjusted the cable position on the mech it was okay.
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • wakou
    wakou Posts: 165
    My Specialized Tricross came with Tiagra LH Shifter, Deore LX Rear Mech and a 12-34 Cassette .... No probs, HTH
    "I had righteous got my wheel backmost from a fettlin' at the LBS and was hunt transport to equitation it. As it was Refrigerated in the AM......"
  • andrew_s
    andrew_s Posts: 2,511
    Older 9 speed MTB rear mechs are OK, but new 10 speed MTB mechs use a different cable pull and won't work with a road shifter.
  • tonye_n
    tonye_n Posts: 832
    CPeachey wrote:
    I am planning to get new 105 10sp STi levers, an XT 11-34(36?) 10sp cassette and KMC chain, all new to work with an existing XTR changer, about 4yrs old. Will this setup work "out-of-the-box"
    Chris
    This WILL work with no issues.
  • cpeachey
    Thanks guys, I'll spend some money.
    Chris
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    not doing the Fred Whitton by any chance.... :wink:
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • cpeachey
    Sorry, who/what is Fred Whitton?
    Chris