What are the benefits of flat bars?

swelsbyuk
swelsbyuk Posts: 421
edited March 2012 in MTB buying advice
Just spent a bit of quality time in my LBS, touching and stroking bikes that are well out of my price range.

Whilst there I noticed that a few of the bikes had flat handlebars. I haven't really seen many of these around but I must admit to liking the look of them.

Now, before I do my usual thing of just buying something because it looks pretty, what are the benefits of flat bars and what are the best ones sub £100?

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Flat bars get your body weight a llittle lower & allow you to get over the front end with slightly less risk of going over the bars, this gives a better feel for what's happening as well as better control. They put you in a better position when out of the saddle. Removing spacers from under the stem has the same effect & costs nothing though I like to run no spacers under my headset & flat bars. It's more about the position of your grips than the actual shape of the bars.
    Renthal Fatbar's are the bar of choice and about half your budget, not the lightest but they are very nice wide, flat bars.
  • swelsbyuk
    Just done a quick Google of Renthal Fatbar and all I can find are risers. Do you have a specific link?
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    What is your bike and what sort of width do you want?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Bars are there to get your hands where they need to be. End of.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • swelsbyuk
    My bike is a Canyon Nerve XC - not sure on size. What are the main options?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Pick the style of bar you want to get your hands where you want them, do you have spacers under the stem? If you do flip them above and flip the stem, this will put your grips in roughly the same place as flat bars, do you lime that or not? I run fairly low bars, I put more spacers below the stem for trail centres and flip back for more XC local stuff.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.