Power-Torque & Ultra-Torque

Hayezy
Hayezy Posts: 9
edited March 2013 in Workshop
Hi All,

I've got a question that I hope someone will be able to answer, my commuter bike has campag mirage gearing on it, but I need to replace the crank, which is currently an ultra-torque crank and BB cups.

Can I use the ultra-torque BB cups with a Power-torque crank, or do I need to replace the whole thing?

Cheers

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,179
    Not sure about your post, but the answer is you CANNOT mix and match ultra and power torque. They are different systems and incompatible
    left the forum March 2023
  • Hayezy
    Bugger! I was afraid someone was going to say that!.

Looking at the cups online, they're look almost identical, but never mind
  • Coach H
    Coach H Posts: 1,092
    If you use Look Keo's I have an ultra-torque chainset in the Classifieds for sale.
    viewtopic.php?f=40049&t=12844687
    Coach H. (Dont ask me for training advice - 'It's not about the bike')
  • Hayezy
    Thanks, its the right length and has got keo's on them, but I'm in need of a compact drive, not standard
  • ugo.santalucia
    Get the standard chain set. Compact are just an invention to get fat and unfit people into cycling
  • Hayezy
    Get the standard chain set. Compact are just an invention to get fat and unfit people into cycling

Thanks for the reminder! :oops:
  • majormantra
    majormantra Posts: 2,094
    What's wrong with your current chainset?
  • ugo.santalucia
    Honestly, gears are a state of mind... today I forced myself to go up a slope at 9-10% with a 5Kg pannier on 53x21 and I did... at the top my legs were a bit stiff, but I could have kept going... you don't need that silly 34 ring.
  • Coach H
    Coach H Posts: 1,092
    Hayezy wrote:
    Thanks, its the right length and has got keo's on them, but I'm in need of a compact drive, not standard

The only U/T compacts you will find now are 11s. I got one of the last (Veloce) at Geoffrey Butler but I think they must all be gone now. E-bay has not had one that I have seen for at least a year. Good luck.
    Coach H. (Dont ask me for training advice - 'It's not about the bike')
  • Hayezy
    What's wrong with your current chainset?

It just needs new chain rings, however its a 175mm crank length, my frame is 54cm, and I'm 5'9" so according to the inside leg calculation the cranks are too long, so I'm switching to 170mm
  • ugo.santalucia - i'm also looking to change to a compact because it's too dangerous to ride on main roads - have no option now but to use the backroads. i'm neither fat nor unfit - you should try throwing your 53X21 at some of the hills in west/north yorkshire :D
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    I have the same opinion about tha campacts as go. If yo need hill climbing gears then use a triple. With a compact I was always chaining chainrings with a racing double I am not.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.