Lincolnshire Tour

heatonrider
heatonrider Posts: 109
edited January 2013 in Tour & expedition
Thinking of doing a camping tour of Lincolnshire over the jubilee bank holiday for 3 days - would be looking at 150 miles - has anyone got any routes they have done, could suggest? want to camp. thanks

Comments

• tim_wand
    tim_wand Posts: 2,552
    heaton rider, Living on the Lincs/Notts border I am somewhat upset that no one has responded to your post.
    However somewhat paradoxically I cant contribute much as when I tour I tend to go further a field,

Obviously the East coast / Wash area has many national routes and great campsites and sure just a cursory look on Sustrans and CTC would bring up some good routes. Humber bridge to Great Yarmouth (Norfolk) is a pretty popular ride and would cover all the Lincs coast.

Coming in land I would look closer to Lincoln and the Wolds. There is a popular ride called the the River Way that tracks the River Witham out of Lincoln to Woodhall Spa (The reverse route could be used to come in land from the coast at somewhere like Spilsby/ Wainfleet) and then on to Woodhall.

Alternatively you could stick around the wolds coming in from the coast to somewhere like Horncastle or louth or head to somewhere like Boston and down the old roman bank roads towards Peterbourgh.

I ride out to the coast and back from Newark a bit but my knowledge of touring routes is limited as I tend to tour in other areas, Hopefully though this will get the thread started and someone will come on to contradict me or give you more detailed info.
  • Tim Farr
    Tim Farr Posts: 665
    You could join Sustrans National Route 1. say take the train to Kings Lynn and go north, Boston, Lincoln, Market Rasen and Barton/Humber Bridge OR go south, north Norfolk, Fakenham etc towards Harwich. Buy the Hull to Harwich Sustrams maps.

Enjoy your trip.
    T Farr
  • fatsmoker
    fatsmoker Posts: 585
    Heaton rider - did you do this trip? I'm looking at something similar this easter to ease me into touring. Can you upload a map or something?
  • random man
    random man Posts: 1,518
    I spent a weekend touring Lincolnshire last year. The Wolds are the most scenic part IMO, and Lincoln's got Michaelgate, which is a good climb. You might be able to use these routes:

http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/fullscreen/96737807/

http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/fullscreen/96747635/