Stiff bottom bracket

muzzle1
muzzle1 Posts: 21
edited March 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi all. I've not used my Cube Acid for few weeks, and when I spun the cranks yesterday it felt as if the bottom bracket was really stiff. Not grinding or rough, just a little bit seized up. I gave the cranks a good spin, which seemed to ease it, but it's still not turning as freely as it did before this period of inactivity. Is there anything I can do with lube or spray to free it up a bit, or is it safe to assume it'll ease up further when it gets a good spin on my next ride? Thanks.

Comments

• 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    give it a good clean, is it an external type bb? if so can you take the crank off and clean and lube.
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    How do you lube SEALED bearings? Never seen external BB's with anything but sealed!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    How do you lube SEALED bearings? Never seen external BB's with anything but sealed!

Simon

Fair comment, but you can regrease sealed bearings, (although I wouldn't recommend doing it if your inexperienced at fettling)
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2