Fausto Coppi San Remo?

vanbas
vanbas Posts: 8
edited March 2012 in Road buying advice
Hi,

Looking to get my first road bike and have seen this locally to me: http://www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/faust ... tem-full-1

Looks like a good bike but i cant find much information about it on the web. Is it a good deal or just an utter rubbish frame with ok bits put on. Would like to go the second hand route as i feel i will get more bike for my money.

Anyone have any thoughts or heard of Fausto Coppi?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,273
    Blasfemy... Fausto Coppi was one of the greatest of the sport, maybe second only to Eddie Merckx, although comparosons are difficult as they lived in different eras and Coppi's career was hampered by WW2... no Tour or Giro between 1939 and 1947 (so whoever says that Armstrong is the greatest as he won 7 Tours, clearly doesn't know the sport). He died in 1960 of Hepatitis, which he contracted in Africa, during a hunting trip, his other passion.
    His name was then used by a local (Italy) builder to sell his bicycles... I can remember a few back in Italy, nice frames, nothing wrong with them, as good as any other... this is an alloy one, so probably manufactured in Taiwan, together with all the others.
    If you like it, buy with confidence
    left the forum March 2023
  • vanbas
    vanbas Posts: 8
    Blasfemy... Fausto Coppi was one of the greatest of the sport

Ah, didnt realise that! :) To be fair when i searched google i found some things about the man himself but didn't read them as was interested in whether the bike was any good.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,273
    vanbas wrote:
    Blasfemy... Fausto Coppi was one of the greatest of the sport

Ah, didnt realise that! :) To be fair when i searched google i found some things about the man himself but didn't read them as was interested in whether the bike was any good.

As a punishment, now go and read all there is to know about Fausto Coppi... then make up your mind about the famous image of the water bottle shared with Gino Bartali and decide if it's Coppi (at the fornt) halping his rival or Bartali (at the back) being merciful with his "enemy"

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_McSObmOFMnI/S ... -Coppi.jpg
    left the forum March 2023