Using a Garmin 800 to navigate safe jogle route?

Lexman17
Lexman17 Posts: 11
edited March 2012 in Tour & expedition
Hi,

I'm doing a JOGLE with two friends. My mate's not had his Garmin 800 too long and we could really use some advice about how to use it on our JOGLE effectively. We'd really like to download a really nice scenic route that uses lots of National Cycle Network routes onto it and then follow it. But at present we have absolutely no idea how to go about doing this!

If anyone can give us step by step foolproof instructions on how to do this we'd be eternally grateful.

Further info we could do with at this stage:
BEST PAPER MAP OR ROAD ATLAS TO TAKE WITH US ON THE BIKE
BEST GUIDE TO HOSTELS AND B&BS
ADVICE ON GETTING FROM S.WALES TO INVERNESS ON THE TRAIN (AFTER WHICH WITH THREE OF US IT SEEMS COST EFFECTIVE TO GET A VAN PICK UP TO JOHN O GROATS) AND FROM PENZANCE TO BRISTOL PARKWAY

Many thanks,

Comments

• In terms of getting to John O' Groats, you can get the train to Thurso and then ride across(Dunnet Head is on the way and is the true most northern point on the mainland). If it were me, I wouldn't follow the usual route from JoG down the eastern side on the A9 as I think it's way too busy with big trucks etc, I would head back along the north coast and down the middle to Altnaharra and Lairg then onwards to Inverness from there. It's a much quieter road and more scenic(in my opinion). It's only about 30 miles further, although there is a fair bit more climbing.

As for using the edge 800, not got one so I'm affraid I can't help there!
    Custom spec Scott Scale
    Custom spec Salsa Fargo
    Custom spec Scott CR1
    Scott Speedster S1
  • andymiller
    andymiller Posts: 2,856
    My advice would be to absolutely avoid using 'routes' - if the 800 is like other Garmin GPSes the unit recalculates the route and the results are unpredictable.

I would load 'tracks' onto the unit. I think the 800 has a limit of a thousand trackpoints per track, but even if it is 500 that should go a long way - your track doesn't need to follow every bend it the road.

You can use the routing facility to give you enroute reminders that there is a turn coming up (and the thicker line can be more visible). Just set a waypoint at a point a say 10 miles away. Click on the waypoint and then click on 'go to' this will calculate a route to that point. By setting a fairly short route you can check it isn't sending you off the route you want to follow - if it does, just go the way you want to go and then tell it to recalculate (repeat as necessary). Switch off 'auto-zoom' in the settings.

This method is also useful for navigating across towns.

You should also be able to find a Garmin-compatible copy of the OpenCycleMap maps of the UK which show the NCN routes - -it's not 100 per cent complete and there are occasional errors but it's generally pretty good.

Paper map. Yes. Probably 1:200,000 is the most sensible compromise between weight and detail.

Getting from South Wales to Inverness. There is a train that runs from Bristol Parkway to Edinburgh - but I'd also look at times and prices for going via London. you might also want to consider the Caledonian Sleeper services (see the http://www.seat61.com for information about these - google 'caledonian bargain berths' for cheaper tickets). IIRC getting from Penzance to Bristol Parkway is (IIRC) fairly straight forward - you just need to get the train to Bristol Temple Meads and then a train to Bristol Parkway (or you could even ride). Or alternatively Bristol Temple Meads to Abbey Wood and then a short ride from there.

If you use eastcoast.co.uk or the Chiltern Railways websites you can book bike places at the same time as your seats. On First Great Western trains the quiet coach (Coach a) is nearest the bike compartment.
  • freezing77
    freezing77 Posts: 731
    Lexman17 wrote:
    Hi,

I'm doing a JOGLE with two friends. My mate's not had his Garmin 800 too long and we could really use some advice about how to use it on our JOGLE effectively. We'd really like to download a really nice scenic route that uses lots of National Cycle Network routes onto it and then follow it. But at present we have absolutely no idea how to go about doing this!

http://ridewithgps.com/edge_800
    http://frank.kinlan.co.uk/garmin-edge-8 ... -edge-800/
  • lastant
    lastant Posts: 526
    ...I wouldn't follow the usual route from JoG down the eastern side on the A9 as I think it's way too busy with big trucks etc, I would head back along the north coast and down the middle to Altnaharra and Lairg then onwards to Inverness from there. It's a much quieter road and more scenic(in my opinion). It's only about 30 miles further, although there is a fair bit more climbing.

That's the route I took, albeit in the other direction - mainly as I wanted to take in Dunnet's Head on the way having also done Lizard at the other end.

I used a Garmin eTrex Vista HCx as my navigational aid and didn't bother with any maps at all* to be honest. Thought about going for a Garmin 800, but the fact the Vista HCx used AA batteries swung my choice.

Having planned it all on bikeroutetoaster and transferred it across as tracks it worked a treat. Takes a bit of the magic out of the trip I guess, but made it relatively painless - it only let me down on one occasion, turning itself off on a bumpy road on Day 9 or 10...meant I had to track back two miles having carried on round a Loch instead of turning off as I was meant to.

Details of my trip are on my blog, and also available in paperback / Kindle format... ;)

* - well, I made up some very basic A6 route cards which had an elevation profile for the day and also a very rough map so I could see which direction I was meant to be heading in. Not that hard to be honest...it's basically up and across!
    One Man and LEJOG : End-to-End on Two Wheels in Two Weeks (Buy the book; or Kindle it!)
  • prb007
    prb007 Posts: 703
    We did it last year; have a trawl through this, for some advice....enjoy

http://joglemay2011.blogspot.co.uk/
    If Wales was flattened out, it'd be bigger than England!
    Planet X Ti Sportive for Sportives & tours
    Orange Alpine 160 for Afan,Alps & dodging trees
    Singlespeed Planet X Kaffenback for dodging potholes
    An On-One Inbred for hard-tail shenanigans...
  • prb007
    Avoid; Helmsdale Hostel (grumpiest landlady in the country, bar none), Chester Backpackers (fleapit), visit Corran House in Oban (very welcoming and nice vibe there).
  • craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    At the risk of thread hijacking... I'm just contemplating a seven / eight day lejog at the end of the summer.
    Navigation - I've got an old mapless Etrex GPS. It can only do routes with 50 waypoints and there'll be no chance of loading routes once I'm underway. That means ~6 waypoints a day which IMO is plenty. I should have a pretty clear idea of the route before I start anyway.

prb007 I've just been reading your blog. Sounds great! How many days was it? What route did you take through Scotland?
    How did you secure your bikes? I can't imagine taking a D-lock

Ta.
  • freezing77
    freezing77 Posts: 731
    Don't use routes use tracks instead.
    If I recall correctly each track can have 125 track points. The etrex can have 10 or 20 tracks, can;t remember exactly.

Its 10 tracks.
  • prb007
    craker wrote:
    At the risk of thread hijacking... I'm just contemplating a seven / eight day lejog at the end of the summer.
    Navigation - I've got an old mapless Etrex GPS. It can only do routes with 50 waypoints and there'll be no chance of loading routes once I'm underway. That means ~6 waypoints a day which IMO is plenty. I should have a pretty clear idea of the route before I start anyway.

prb007 I've just been reading your blog. Sounds great! How many days was it? What route did you take through Scotland?
    How did you secure your bikes? I can't imagine taking a D-lock

Ta.

Read further thru the blog to see route (i.e. older posts), we opted for the ferry across to Arran - well worth the diversion (around Glasgow). Take a cable lock, more manageable.
    Good luck, all.
    Planning this for 2013... http://g.co/maps/347ed