Campag freewheel noise

on-yer-bike
on-yer-bike Posts: 2,974
edited March 2012 in Workshop
The freewheel on my rear Neutron has started making a very loud mechanical noise when freewheeling. It happens when the hub stops in a particular place. Is it terminal or do the pawls need servicing or what? Thanks.
Pegoretti
Colnago
Cervelo
Campagnolo

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,255
    Probably just need lubrication.
    Freehub noise is not a sign of problems to come... actually if it is loud, it means the pawls spring are in good shape... I'd be more worried if it gets silent
    left the forum March 2023
  • on-yer-bike
    on-yer-bike Posts: 2,974
    Freehub noise is not a sign of problems to come... actually if it is loud, it means the pawls spring are in good shape... I'd be more worried if it gets silent
    This is not a freewheel noise, this is over and above that. Its a bit like holding a bit of card in the spokes as the wheel goes round. A couple of years a go the freehub was sticking on this hub but cured its self.
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,255
    This is not a freewheel noise, this is over and above that. Its a bit like holding a bit of card in the spokes as the wheel goes round. A couple of years a go the freehub was sticking on this hub but cured its self.

Open it and have a look, I expect a Campagnolo part to be fully serviceable
    left the forum March 2023
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,860

pawl spring is on the way out or gone already is my guess especially given the odd freewheel converts to fixed wheel temporarily phenomena

take the the free up off and have a look

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eu9TnP_tgEw

you only need to do the first bit geting the axle out and the freehub off

springs cost less than a tenner and you can replace it yourself
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm