New Tyre choice (Halfords)

tbeat
tbeat Posts: 119
edited March 2012 in MTB buying advice
Guys,
i have vouchers to use up in Halfords and am in need to get some fresh tyres for my mtb. i do mostly XC riding, fire roads, some off the track stuff etc... looking for an all rounder tyre really front and back. I see they do Maxxis tyres and continental, just looking for experiences of what best i should be looking at

thanks
Trevor

Comments

• .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    My personal opinion would be to give the Halfords vouchers to a friend or relative and have a look on nextdaytyres.com or bike-discount.de

The all rounders from Maxxis or Schwalbe are all pretty good have a look at Ardents, CrossMarks, Advantages, maybe High Rollers, Nobby Nics, Hans Dampf that sort of thing. The folding versions are quite a bit lighter and roll noticeably quicker.
  • Dont get the continentals, or at least not the mountain kings, they constantly puncture (speaking from experience!). Maxxis high rollers are a good choice, i believe halfords stock them.
    Otherwise sell the vouchers to somebody, and get some panaracer fire xc pro's! :D
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Maxxis Ignitor. Preferably Exception model.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    As above, sell or use the vouchers for something else, once Halfords stopped doing Panaracers (got some cheap in the sell off though) they don't really do any I would call as good value for money (except the city jets) as most are overpriced compared to what you can find them for elsewhere.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • tbeat
    tbeat Posts: 119
    cheers all,

looks like i will put the vouchers to some camping equipment instead and grab tyres else where. :D