First XC Race - Recommendations

mgs
mgs Posts: 12
edited April 2012 in XC and Enduro
I would like to get into XC racing, or at least give it a go, can anyone recommend a good first race? Ideally in the Midlands.

Would be good if it was one with other newbies too!

Thanks in advance,

MGS

Comments

• u05harrisb
    u05harrisb Posts: 531
    If your in the midlands id pop down to rutland cycling or fineshades cycling. rent/demo some bikes and see what sort thing you fancy. you may well find some exdemo and display models still out. eg, look at the modraker podiums that they have, cracking deals at the momment! i have last years one that i got with the same deals, there great bikes!
    Ben
  • mgs
    mgs Posts: 12
    Already got a decent xc bike and been riding for a few years. Just never got into racing and not sure which event to start with!
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    There's a Midlands XC series, or there's Mud, Sweat and Gears in the East or Southern XC in the south, so it depends how far you want to travel. Try XCRacer.com for an idea of what events are going on near you.

It's good fun!
  • Try the back on track bash series, the next race is top barn in Worcester on the 29th April, you can pay on the day and enter the individual race or the series. They're great fun!
    Very funny Scotty, now beam me down my clothes.
  • pilch
    pilch Posts: 1,136
    Depending on where you are based, you could try a couple of these http://www.fnssmtb.com

The Friday Night Summer Series

Now in its 21st year the Friday Night Series is the UK’s longest running
    amateur mountain bike racing series.

Races run most friday nights from early may through to late August with venues around Northants and surrounding counties.

You don’t need to be a member of a club to enter, or have a race licence - all you need is a bike and a helmet.
    The races are open to all, they last for about an hour, with categories that span across age and gender.

Entry fees per race: £7 online/£8 on the night

If its something that you have been looking at, or you just want to see how you stack up against your mates, the informal nature of these events is the perfect introduction to cross country mountain bike racing.
    A berm? were you expecting one?

29er race

29er bouncer
  • Rushmore
    Rushmore Posts: 674
    +1 for the Friday night summer series...

They are the races I do.

You get a good mix of abilities there...

Although its still damn quick in the top half...
    Always remember.... Wherever you go, there you are.

Ghost AMR 7500 2012
    De Rosa R838