What shockpump to buy?

daniel_b
daniel_b Posts: 11,577
edited March 2012 in MTB buying advice
Guys,

my Reba SL's will be with me tomorrow, and should be fitted in the evening.

My mate has a pump I can borrow, but I guess I need to look at getting one myself.

Do I need one with a guage?

Are any of these highly recommended??

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ProductDetail.aspx?Cat=cycle&ProdID=5300001930&N=Marzocchi%20Shock%20Pump%202006

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ProductDetail.aspx?Cat=cycle&ProdID=5300005900&N=SKS%20Suspensioneer%20Shock%20Pump

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=7355

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=21326

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=7353

What PSI would I need to be going up to?

Cheers

Dan
Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
Scott CR1 SL 12
Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
Scott Foil 18

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    try reading the manual. available on the RS webby. pressure all depends on which spring system the SL has and what your weight is.

So i could look up the SL manual but i still would not know.

and any pump that has a car type fitting and will allow you to read the presure you need IE not a 300psi shock pump.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • dunker
    dunker Posts: 1,503
    Topeak Pocket Shock DXG

i use that on my reba', does the job fine.

you'll probably get a fork manual plus the rider weights to fork psi charts are on the left lower leg on the fork.
  • Just bought (today) a Fox pump from Mojo - £22
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    My Topeak masterblaster is fine - but slightly wide nozzle interferes with frame on my idrive - close fit. For shocks, no probs. Reads 60 -300 psi
  • GT Destroyer
    GT Destroyer Posts: 1,719
    Cheesey wrote:
    Just bought (today) a Fox pump from Mojo - £22

Cheesy - Is there a day goes by when you don't make a purchase? I was going to say Christmas day, as everywhere is shut but then there is the internet, so I bet there isn't a purchase free day in the life of Cheesey!
  • :lol:

Seems that way I know - but not that bad really.... :?

Found out my new steed's rear shock had about 100psi in it.... being a fat git, sat on it and it shot down to about 90% sag :lol:

So - time for shock pump - to be honest I can't believe I have not bought one since buying my Marin last April! :shock:

Must of been lucky with the F100s :lol:
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    Daniel B wrote:
    Guys,

my Reba SL's will be with me tomorrow, and should be fitted in the evening.

My mate has a pump I can borrow, but I guess I need to look at getting one myself.

Do I need one with a guage?

If your Rebas are genuine factory ones and come boxed as such I would have thought that they should have a pump with them - Rock Shox are usually pretty good like that.

As Nick says, when you come to setting them up, follow the instructions one step at a time and do EXACTLY as they say. Once you got the basics (sag, initial pressures, initial rebound, etc.) go out and have a play and then make adjustments as necessary.

Again, if your forks are factory boxed they will have the full owners manual with them but if you want a sneak peek, visit SRAMs website and download the manual from there.
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,577
    They arrived this morning,

All new, and has manual and remote poplock with remote compression adjust also.

Defo no shockpump with it though.

Ex bike mechanic thought I might have fun and games, as the 'star bolt' is already in the steerer tube, and is pretty near the top, and it would appear I am going to have to cut a fair bit off, so somehow I will need to puch this star bolt down the tube far enough, with no special tools.

Also not sure how easy a DIY cut on one of these tubes will be.

Will assess it tonight, and if it looks too likely to end up in a £200 piece of unuseable metal, I may take it to the local bike shop - I imagine it's only 30 minutes, an hours work for someone who knows what they are doing and has all the tools to hand, but it might be money well spent.

The forks themselves look great, and do feel very light, was quite surprised, pleasantly of course.

The manual seems to be cover the adjustments and setting up bit fine, but has no details on how to fit them which is a bit of a shame.

Cheers

Dan
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • When you say you are cutting 'a fair bit off' are you essentially cutting past the existing starnut?

If you are, just cut it out and fit new one - fitting a new one is going to be a lot easier that faffing around trying to 'accurately' ram the existing one down - in fact don't attempt it as it will end in tears..... just get your LBS to punch it in - might nor even charge you - if he does shoud be about a fiver - money well spent in my book!
  • I got a beto one off ebay for £8 delivered. does the job nicely. I have rebas.
    Road: 2006 Trek 1500
    Off: 2009 Carrera Fury

I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness.
  • Tactica
    Tactica Posts: 70
    Is the bleeder valve on Topeak Pocket Shock DXG supposed to release pressure from the fork, when correctly attached, in a case where you over pressurized?

I just bough one of these shock pumps today and tried it on my forks and the valve button did nothing. Just want to check if I should return it or is it really designed so that I have to unscrew the double locking mechanism and press the valve with my finger to release pressure?
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    SPOODZILLA wrote:
    I got a beto one off ebay for £8 delivered. does the job nicely. I have rebas.

Same - Gotta Beto of eBay (or I possibly got mine off Amazon http://www.amazon.co.uk/Beto-Mountain-Shock-Gauge-Bleed/dp/B003664C2W/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1332920134&sr=8-3 )

I have a Reba RL - works fine
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • 101_North
    101_North Posts: 607
    +1 for Beto pump. Very good for the money.

• DodgeT
    DodgeT Posts: 2,255
    As long as you take a little bit of care, its quite easy to install, let alone, knock a pre-installed SFN a bit further down the tube, with nothing more than stuff lying around in the shed.

And don't cut anything (or move the star nut for that matter) until you've got it assembled in the frame and checked everything 2 or 3 times....
  • tarbot18
    tarbot18 Posts: 531
    Another beto off ebay here great little pump made of metal and bout tenner .
    The family that rides together stays together !

Boardman Comp 29er 2013

Whyte T129s 2014 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12965414&p=18823801&hilit=whyte+t129s#p18823801

Road Scott speedster s50 2011