newbie bitten off more than he can chew?

andybrad
andybrad Posts: 92
edited March 2012 in MTB beginners
Ok folks, ive potentially done something either very silly or very good. I got myself a mountain bike the other week (rockhopper comp SL 2010). Ive never had a mtb with suspension before so its really good in that respect. Done about 6 miles on it and I seem happy (apart from back ache) nowthen. I’ve signed up to a local group ride tonight. Looking at about 15 miles with some serious hills in it (they seem to think about 3 hours max). Trouble is I’m going from not ridden a lot before to this. I know its probably suicide but im after any advice you can possibly give as to what to take with me. I know I cant do anything fitness wise as its too late but anything that might get me through the ride (both advice or otherwise would be greatly appreciated)

Cheers.

Comments

• njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Drink plenty, you may want some sort of sustenance, but in all honesty that's only a couple of hours at a pretty easy pace. Take it easy, and enjoy yourself.
  • miss notax
    miss notax Posts: 2,572
    You'll be fine :D

We ride as a group every wednesday night and have had various newbies join us over the years - some have stayed and become really good mates and others have only lasted one evening :?

Certainly in our group we never mind waiting (everyone always does on mountain bikes anyway, and it gives us chance to catch our breath!) and it's always lovely to have new guys or gals join us. A sense of humour is always necessary and just enjoy it! The only thing that winds me up is when people come along and whinge constantly about how they don't like the route etc :roll:

If you really want to make friends, take along a jumbo bag of Jelly Babies - they'll keep you going with a massive sugar hit, and everyone will love you :lol:
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

Riding a gorgeous ano orange Turner Burner!

Sponsor the CC2CC at http://www.justgiving.com/cc2cc
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    As Njee says, take a good supply of food, grenola bars or some such, jelly babies are great quick energy but not alot of long term and your teeth may fall out :p
  • You will be fine - just make sure that you are prepared by eating properly before you go out. If you don't eat properly you will fade quickly.
    Some pasta (or whole grain bread) with some fruit a couple of hours before you go out. Not too much though - don't want to be bloated.
    And make sure you have something for the ride. As mentioned, jelly beans are great - easy to eat and full of sugar for that extra boost.
    Most importantly - take lots of water - the temperature is boiling at the moment, so you will dehydrate even quicker than usual.
    2007 Felt Q720 (the ratbike)
    2012 Cube Ltd SL (the hardtail XC 26er)
    2014 Lapierre Zesty TR 329 (the full-sus 29er)
  • miss notax wrote:

If you really want to make friends, take along a jumbo bag of Jelly Babies - they'll keep you going with a massive sugar hit, and everyone will love you :lol:

Sharing Jelly Babies? :shock: NEVER! :twisted:
  • 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    njee20 wrote:
    Drink plenty, you may want some sort of sustenance, but in all honesty that's only a couple of hours at a pretty easy pace. Take it easy, and enjoy yourself.

+1
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • miss notax
    miss notax Posts: 2,572
    How was it? :D
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

Riding a gorgeous ano orange Turner Burner!

Sponsor the CC2CC at http://www.justgiving.com/cc2cc