First event (69miles) in 25 days

NITR8s
NITR8s Posts: 688
Im doing the Exmoor Beauty in 25 days and it will be my first cycling race/event, I was just wondering if anyone could give me some advice on training for this distance. I currently cycle to work one day a week, which is 7 miles each way and do one 10 Mile cycle at the weekend. Obviously, I am gonna need to increase the weekend distance but was wondering if anyone could recommend how far to take it etc.

I done a lot of running last year, doing a Half Marathon in Oct in 2 hours 10 secs but havent really done much training since then other than the above cycling.

Comments

• Pseudonym
    Pseudonym Posts: 1,032
    too late to train meaningfully for it now - but if it's a sportive, then you don't really need to 'train' anyway - just ride your bike - preferably a bit more often and a bit further than you are at the moment. Please don't call it a 'race' either...
  • NITR8s
    Sorry coming from a running background an event like this is a Race, i didnt realise it would offend anyone.
  • Pseudonym
    Pseudonym Posts: 1,032
    NITR8s wrote:
    Sorry coming from a running background an event like this is a Race, i didnt realise it would offend anyone.

there's a bit more to it than offending people, unfortunately. As it is, sportives do not need police authorisation as they are not classed as races. But that's a whole new topic.

As for the event, just get out on your bike as often as you can between now and then. If you can aim to ride 40-50 miles in a single ride before the day, then you won't have any issues getting round a 70 miler...
  • NITR8s
    Thanks I was gonna try increase to 40 mile ride, just wanted to check what people recommend.
    Pseudonym wrote:
    As it is, sportives do not need police authorisation as they are not classed as races. But that's a whole new topic.

Gotcha Its not a Race :wink:
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    You will try to enjoy the first 35 miles, you will fail to enjoy the second 35 miles.
    But if you do it in one hit and not sneak a 90 minute rest up in between , you'll have a massive feeling of achievement.