Just lost the "Game"

projectsome
projectsome Posts: 4,478
edited March 2012 in The Crudcatcher
I'm probably a bit late to the party, but it would explain why I got stuff pretty cheap last week.

Game/Gamestation have gone into administration.

Didn't see that coming.

Guess that's another incentive to spend even more money on the bike.
FARKBOOK TWATTER Happiness is my fucking mood!

Comments

• jndb72
    jndb72 Posts: 629
    Hasn't looked good for them for a few weeks.

Always found them slighly expensive.

Still a shame, 2 shops closing near the town that I live in.

Cheers
    2011 Canyon Nerve AM 5.0
    2009 Specialized Rockhopper Disc

I might have alzheimer's but atleast I don't have alzheimer's
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    Probably gonna be sold as a going concern by the administrators, so i would imagine a slimming down adn rebranding by who ever buys, but alot of it should remain :)

There own fault expanded to hard in a time of the internet :S
  • Raymondavalon
    Raymondavalon Posts: 5,346
    jndb72 wrote:

And that's what killed them... over saturation, too many stores in any one town / city
  • thekickingmule
    thekickingmule Posts: 7,957
    That and Play/Amazon/Steam and loads of other online shops are killing them.

I liked Game, but I liked them 15 years ago, when I would buy Playstation 1 games from there due to not having the interweb. They should have shrunk in size about 10 years ago, when the interweb kicked off massively.

My friend was in his local Game and got asked to leave as they'd just been told they're closing and they'd all just lost their jobs. I think I'd have grabbed a few things before locking up that day ;)

Also, damn you OP for the title *shakes fist*
    It takes as much courage to have tried and failed as it does to have tried and succeeded.
    Join us on UK-MTB we won't bite, but bring cake!
    Blender Cube AMS Pro
  • angry_bird
    angry_bird Posts: 3,786
    I'm not massively suprised, used to go there a fair bit as a kid, but over in recent years (aside from not buying as many games) I've used the internet, the prices are better.

I guess it's also something people have been cutting back on what with the way money is at the moment... I think I've bought 1 game from them in 6 months, and it was preowned, bought on credit by trading in shoot games that nobody in their right minds would want. Whenever I've wandered past them they've been fairly empty too.

Also projectsome you're a git. Ages since I'd last lost the game.
  • schmako
    schmako Posts: 1,982
    What the chat with reward points? Bought my latest xbox from there, got about £40 of points going, guess thats them up the crapper..
  • Also, damn you OP for the title *shakes fist*

+ Furious potato
  • projectsome
    projectsome Posts: 4,478
    bought my first full game on demand on xbox live (deus ex; human revelations) I'll probably do this more often depending on game and price. granted i can't return it when finished.

also noticed the HMV games section has doubled in size this month... coincidence I think not...
    FARKBOOK TWATTER Happiness is my fucking mood!
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    It's possible the brand may continue, as i said the administrators are fairly confident they can sell the company as aoging concern, maybe then someone will pick them up close half the stores and job done.

Then again they may not :p

And OP the title is evil :P and i hate you.
  • AndyBeast
    AndyBeast Posts: 179
    We have a Game and a Gamestation with 50 yards of each other in Weymouth not sure why they felt it necessary to have both, Game's had the doors locked and signs in the window telling everyone to go to Gamestation. Personally I buy new on-line either mail order or digital download, only used Game / Gamestation for trade in and second hand games anyway but they both seemed dead after Christmas and their special offers where never that special!!
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    jndb72 wrote:

And that's what killed them... over saturation, too many stores in any one town / city
    Too bloody right. I always find a GAME only a few doors down from GAMESTATION.
    Hell, I swear there's one town with two Games and a gamestation.
    Silly *asstards
  • bluechair84
    bluechair84 Posts: 4,352
    CEX get's my monies, but then I only buy old second hand cr@p that no-one else wants. Though, the stench of teenage sweat and feaces (amongst other ominous shirt stains...) is distgusting in that place.
  • Same here, never buy games new but it's easier to buy off the CEX web site, you don't have to stand in the 3 mile long queue of scrotes cashing in their stolen games and mobiles.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    They were good when they were Electronic Boutique.

That's why I bought shares in them as they were cheap and rocketing up.

Then I forgot about them.

And now they (now GAME) gone bust.

Shares worthless.

Bugger.

(thankfully I got them back when I had no money so I bought very few)

Anyway, Gamestation is worth keeping as they tend to be more oriented towards actual gaming nerds, though not sure people actually buy things in there, the nerds just hang out (or work) there. GAME is more a place where those who haven't got a clue shop and work. Get rid of all of those, and concentrate the rest of the business online. Or give up.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    GAME and GAMESTATION were the same company though. One bought the other out. Now they're both bust.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Indeed, but as it looks like they might already be pulled out of administration (by RBS, so kind of public owned as a result!), something to salvage is the stores worth keeping, i.e. Gamestation, and the online stuff. Maybe.