If Sagan went to Quick.Step next year

iainf72
iainf72 Posts: 15,784
edited October 2012 in Pro race
It would make PTP a lot easier, wouldn't it?

He's probably more Bettini than Boonen, but it would be fun to see how he rolled on a Belgie squad.
Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.

Comments

• RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,147
    Is it on the cards? Lefevre rejected him once before (he must rue the day) and Sagan didn't take it too well. Although, I realise there's a Czech/Slovak connection.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • iainf72
    Yup. they're sniffing around.
  • Comments about this on Cyclingnews.
    9. At his press conference in Wevelgem, Boonen was asked about the talents of Peter Sagan. For the second race in a row the Liquigas rider impressed with a combination of gutsy attacking and fast finishing. However, while Boonen paid the youngster a number of compliments he also raised the question of whether Sagan was at the right team, pointing out that the 22-year-old lacked a Classics mentor at Liquigas. In Gent-Wevelgem Sagan attacked from the front while Boonen sat back on the Kemmelberg knowing that the race would come back to him. Of course, Boonen has the wealth of strength on show at his team to help him. Given that QuickStep turned down Sagan as a youngster and are believed to have enquired about his availability last season, could Sagan one day move to Belgian’s biggest team?

http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/10- ... t-wevelgem
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,542
    For sure.

I was imagining this very merry-go-round a few nights ago.

Sagan to QS - Cancellara to Liquigas - Basso to Radioshack.
  • rebs
    rebs Posts: 891
    I'm willing to bet a small fortune that Canc will be a Sky Rider come end of the next season or 2. Sky have been desperate to get the big man.
  • zippypablo
    zippypablo Posts: 398
    I think Sagan can win Flanders on Sunday. Would this complicate the move or make no difference?
    If suffer we must, let's suffer on the heights. (Victor Hugo).
  • rick_chasey
    zippypablo wrote:
    I think Sagan can win Flanders on Sunday. Would this complicate the move or make no difference?

It'd make him more expensive.
  • rick_chasey
    He won't win Flanders though.
  • thamacdaddy
    thamacdaddy Posts: 590
    rebs wrote:
    I'm willing to bet a small fortune that Canc will be a Sky Rider come end of the next season or 2. Sky have been desperate to get the big man.

Quoted for truth here. I know through the grapevine here oooppp north (people who work there) that the deal was there when he joined Leopard and he only went to leopard to stick with his teammates in the schlecks etc. Who knows if that deal will still be available next year though.
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    Comments about this on Cyclingnews.
    9. At his press conference in Wevelgem, Boonen was asked about the talents of Peter Sagan. For the second race in a row the Liquigas rider impressed with a combination of gutsy attacking and fast finishing. However, while Boonen paid the youngster a number of compliments he also raised the question of whether Sagan was at the right team, pointing out that the 22-year-old lacked a Classics mentor at Liquigas. In Gent-Wevelgem Sagan attacked from the front while Boonen sat back on the Kemmelberg knowing that the race would come back to him. Of course, Boonen has the wealth of strength on show at his team to help him. Given that QuickStep turned down Sagan as a youngster and are believed to have enquired about his availability last season, could Sagan one day move to Belgian’s biggest team?

How much of that is driven by Boonens desire to have a rider of Sagan's calibre "inside the tent"? Sagan won't ever have the raw "solo'ing" power of a Cancellara or the outright sprinting ability of a Cav, but when (rather than if) he calms down & learns ropes, he'll p!ss all over most other classics finishing scenarios - you know, the ones that Boonen excels in.
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • rick_chasey
    LangerDan wrote:
    Comments about this on Cyclingnews.

How much of that is driven by Boonens desire to have a rider of Sagan's calibre "inside the tent"? Sagan won't ever have the raw "solo'ing" power of a Cancellara or the outright sprinting ability of a Cav, but when (rather than if) he calms down & learns ropes, he'll p!ss all over most other classics finishing scenarios - you know, the ones that Boonen excels in.

It's an interesting one.

Iain's right - he's more Bettini than Boonen, to me anyway.

Boonen says, in hindsight, he preferred having another top classics rider (albeit hilly) to take some of the pressure off him.

He was obviously less happy with Devolder...
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Does anyone like Devolder...

It always surprises me how the likes of Cancellara or Jens can say they are going to Leopard or RS to continue riding with the Schlecks...
    Contador is the Greatest
  • rebs
    rebs Posts: 891
    It doesn't supraise me really FF. The main reason being they know Andypandy will only look to be riding for 3 weeks. So they will be able to do the classics without much worry then when it comes to the GT's there earnings will be bumped up abit due to schlek going up the odd mountain. Best of both worlds for such riders.
  • frenchfighter
    Haha, that is an interesting way to look at it (own self interests).
    Contador is the Greatest
  • zippypablo
    zippypablo Posts: 398

You sure about that?
    I think Boonen will win Roubaix this year and would like to see him do the double.
    However, I think Sagan is a great outside bet for the Ronde.
    I'll be there watching it too.
    If suffer we must, let's suffer on the heights. (Victor Hugo).
  • rick_chasey
    zippypablo wrote:

You sure about that?
    I think Boonen will win Roubaix this year and would like to see him do the double.
    However, I think Sagan is a great outside bet for the Ronde.
    I'll be there watching it too.

I'm willing to put some green down that Sagan won't win the Tour of Flanders this year.
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    Does anyone like Devolder...

I do. Ripping it up in de Panne as we speak.

Strava is not Zen.
  • Would it look as good incorporating the little stripes and Slovakian flag into the front of a QS shirt? That could be a deal breaker.
  • cogidubnus
    cogidubnus Posts: 860
    I think the Cancellara deal to Sky won't happen now. 2 years ago he was the best TT rider in the world and winning all the classics. Since then Martin and Wiggins have been beating him, not to mention being marked to hell in all the classics
  • ozzzyosborn206
    ozzzyosborn206 Posts: 1,340
    whats to say he won't go to BMC imagine how epic their classic team would be then, as if its not good enough already......on a side note from the main topic BMC have a mega team but you don't tend to see many BMCs about, wheres all the money come from?
  • okgo
    okgo Posts: 4,368
    They haven't been in the UK long, and their only sold at Evans. I think they have sold a fair few bikes outside of here though.
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,147
    whats to say he won't go to BMC imagine how epic their classic team would be then, as if its not good enough already......on a side note from the main topic BMC have a mega team but you don't tend to see many BMCs about, wheres all the money come from?

The money comes from Andy Rihs, a cycling fanatic and owner of BMC (team and company). He became obscenely rich selling hearing systems (Remember Phonak? That's his company - now called Sonova)
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • thamacdaddy
    thamacdaddy Posts: 590
    I was in Australia this january near Evans hometown. Lots of cyclists out on the great ocean road and they were pretty much all wearing the BMC kit and a fair few bikes too. Guess that's the point of a sponsorship effort not to mention the vanity side of it being one of your interests.
  • patchy
    patchy Posts: 779
    I was in Australia this january near Evans hometown. Lots of cyclists out on the great ocean road and they were pretty much all wearing the BMC kit and a fair few bikes too. Guess that's the point of a sponsorship effort not to mention the vanity side of it being one of your interests.

Yeah, BMCs are everywhere over here in Aus. One of the blokes in my club bought the super special yellow TDF limited edition Cadel super SLR01with special new yellow limited edition Sidis (too much money, obviously) - he rode it out on the regular club run the day after picking it up, it p1ssed down the whole way around. I thought it was hilarious. He wasn't so impressed. Especially when it stopped raining the second we pulled up for post-ride coffee and didn't rain again all day.
    point your handlebars towards the heavens and sweat like you're in hell
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,454
    okgo wrote:
    They haven't been in the UK long, and their only sold at Evans. I think they have sold a fair few bikes outside of here though.

My LBS sells BMC or at least they did 2 years ago when I was buying my bike. They only had an aluminium one in the shop though and it was garish orange.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,454
    RichN95 wrote:

The money comes from Andy Rihs, a cycling fanatic and owner of BMC (team and company). He became obscenely rich selling hearing systems (Remember Phonak? That's his company - now called Sonova)

Hadn't realised that - no wonder he sponsors through another company now after the legacy that team left him. I'm surprised he's prepared to risk the reputation of another company after that!
  • iainf72
    Looks like Sagan has decided to stay at Liquigas for another 3 years
  • frenchfighter
    “Sagan is not riding for the right team. Liquigas lacks a classics mentor for him to learn from.”

-Boonen
    Contador is the Greatest
  • “Sagan is not riding for the right team. Liquigas lacks a classics mentor for him to learn from.”

-Boonen

That's a quote from a Boonen interview months ago...
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    “Sagan is not riding for the right team. Liquigas lacks a classics mentor for him to learn from.”

-Boonen

That's a quote from a Boonen interview months ago...

It's still true though.

Strava is not Zen.