Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    .blitz wrote:

Like it but £90 for a pair of tyres is just upsetting me :(
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    YGM mate
  • VWsurfbum
    VWsurfbum Posts: 7,881
    Not read the whole thread but i have nicked this and modified a few bits, maybe do something simular with widths etc?
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc ... tVGc#gid=0
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • Thewaylander
    Grip and sidewall strength is a big thing though, and impossible to really quantify ona spready, but i like the idea :) as accounts guy anything i can excel is awesome lol :p
  • VWsurfbum
    Likewise, plus the amount of tyres i get through i could feel this sheet on my own :lol:
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    try the link i posted on the previous page for hans dampfs, or any of the german sites tbh, they are loads cheaper! might be getting a pair of gatestar nobby nics in a coupla months, should work out about £65 :)
  • lawman
    try the link i posted on the previous page for hans dampfs, or any of the german sites tbh, they are loads cheaper! might be getting a pair of gatestar nobby nics in a coupla months, should work out about £65 :)
  • j0nttu
    j0nttu Posts: 6
    Got my Hans Dampfs few days ago, im liking them alot, much better grip than my old Nobby nic/racing ralph combo.

B-D still got this deal up if anyone is interested 64,95 € (~54£?) for a pair of Hans Dampf TrailStar / PaceStar tires.
    http://www.bike-discount.de/shop/k371/a69863/hans-dampf-evo-snake-skin-pacestar-trailstar-set.html
  • divingmoose
    divingmoose Posts: 540
    In relation to tyres, i have some maxxis that are 26" x 2.1, does the 2.1 relate to the width of the tyre and i assume 2.1 are more a fast rolling tyre and that i can go upto 2.3 with the Hans Dampf no problem.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    In relation to tyres, i have some maxxis that are 26" x 2.1, does the 2.1 relate to the width of the tyre

In theory, yes. In practice no- lots of tyres seem to be measured by a blind man with a rubber ruler. On a galloping horse. Maxxis tyre sizes are great, the 2.25 Advantage is bigger than the 2.35 Highroller and the 2.35 and 2.5 Swampthing are almost exactly the same size.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    Lokoing at the baront her eis a free ride 2.35 wondering how this would measure up. I like the look of hans Dampf but finding a UK based one is hard work :s

http://www.bike-discount.de/shop/k371/a69863/hans-dampf-evo-snake-skin-pacestar-trailstar-set.html

£50(ish) with free delivery

Why does it need to be UK based?
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    Northwind wrote:
    In theory, yes. In practice no- lots of tyres seem to be measured by a blind man with a rubber ruler. On a galloping horse
    :lol:
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • Thewaylander
    Lokoing at the baront her eis a free ride 2.35 wondering how this would measure up. I like the look of hans Dampf but finding a UK based one is hard work :s

£50(ish) with free delivery

Why does it need to be UK based?

Had problems before with wrong tires and sending back, just got to the point where it's not worth the hassle if it goes wrong.

Went for Muddy Mary in the 2.35 free ride, only a little weightier but with the DH super soft compound, still about the same weight as the 2.35 high roller and lighter than the minion woop :) I will report back on my findings.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    I got that Hans Dampf twin pack from Bike Discount. Can't see how there'd be a problem.

They've got much tougher sidewalls than the Nobby Nics I had before. Don't seem too slow, but definitely a grippier. I'll hopefully give them a proper test in the next couple of weeks.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • broona
    broona Posts: 414
    bails87 wrote:
    I got that Hans Dampf twin pack from Bike Discount. Can't see how there'd be a problem.

They've got much tougher sidewalls than the Nobby Nics I had before. Don't seem too slow, but definitely a grippier. I'll hopefully give them a proper test in the next couple of weeks.

How do they roll on tarmac? Currently running a Minion 2.5 up front and a High Roller 2.35 on the rear, and probably 50% of our riding's on road to get to the trails, so good road manners are a must. Cheers. :D
  • lawman
    bails87 wrote:

need to try these out!! might bring a spare set of flats next time i see you!!
  • VWsurfbum
    My tyre from bike discount turned up yesterday, thats 2 working days from order!
    Massive box for a tyre though LOL
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • .blitz
    Went for Muddy Mary in the 2.35 free ride, only a little weightier but with the DH super soft compound.
    Schwalbe's Vertstar compound is not dissimilar to Slow Reezay. Wear rate is astronomical but they are insanely grippy hard/soft/dry/wet it makes no difference.
  • swelsbyuk
    swelsbyuk Posts: 421
    What's the difference between the Hans Dampf Trailstar and Pacestar?
  • .blitz
    Trailstar is nominally 60a compound. Pacestars are basically the older EVO compound
  • bails87
    The hans dampfs on tarmac are...adequate. They're not fast, but they're a grippy mtb tyre, and I'm usually on 25mm slicks when I'm on the road so anything knobbly will feel slow by comparison. But they were probably better than I expected tbh. My local route has a fair bit of tarmac, and one challenging corner (dull as fu...) . On the tarmac they were ok, and on tge corner they dug in noticeably more than the NNs and really carved a line, digging chunks out of the loamy soil. I'd like to give them a test somewhere interesting soon.
    MTB/CX

• Thewaylander
    Excited much dispatched.... not gonna be in time for my ride tonight!

Really excited about the vertstar for my front, mostly due to the local rocks, on the fact ost of trails are just rocks lol
  • bails87
    Finally got a chance to ride the MTB somewhere interesting, and I'm very impressed with the Hans Dampfs.

I struggled to get the front to show any signs of giving up grip, even on Cannock's polished (and freshly wet from a downpour) pebbles. The only issue was the back tyre breaking free noticably earlier than the front under braking, so I was finding it a little tricky to feather the back brake to the edge of traction. That was only because the front was so grippy that the back felt a little mismatched under heavy braking. It wasn't a problem when cornering though.

They were a little slower rolling than the Nics, but well worth it for the barrels full of extra grip.
    MTB/CX

• Thewaylander
    Had a good few blasts on the Muddy Mary's now myself.

For trails these tyres are slow, but on the DH oh my... oh oh my they grip. So much fun at FOD the other weekend ont hem on the DH sections I want to go play more. I couldn't care if a tyre is slow just means its gripping and need to be fitter :P
  • lawman
    bails87 wrote:
    Finally got a chance to ride the MTB somewhere interesting, and I'm very impressed with the Hans Dampfs.

I struggled to get the front to show any signs of giving up grip, even on Cannock's polished (and freshly wet from a downpour) pebbles. The only issue was the back tyre breaking free noticably earlier than the front under braking, so I was finding it a little tricky to feather the back brake to the edge of traction. That was only because the front was so grippy that the back felt a little mismatched under heavy braking. It wasn't a problem when cornering though.

They were a little slower rolling than the Nics, but well worth it for the barrels full of extra grip.

Hmmmm interesting, still can't decide on whether to go for hans dampfs or gatestar nobby nics, which compounds are you using? trailstar/pacestar?
  • bails87
    Yep, the trail/pacestar combo from BikeDiscount. That's why the front felt grippier than the back. The front really is very, very grippy. If you're used to 2.4" DH tyres then maybe it won't seem so good, but for me, being used to general/aggressive XC type tyres I'm impressed.
    MTB/CX

• Northwind
    lawman wrote:
    still can't decide on whether to go for hans dampfs or gatestar nobby nics

I feel like I've posted about this before, but can't find it... Standard Nobby Nics wear stupidly fast, so I wouldn't consider a softer compound version myself. They'll probably perform really well though, while they last.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • lawman
    Cheers Bails, will bear that in mind, very good deal on bike-discount.de atm.
    Northwind wrote:
    lawman wrote:
    still can't decide on whether to go for hans dampfs or gatestar nobby nics

I feel like I've posted about this before, but can't find it... Standard Nobby Nics wear stupidly fast, so I wouldn't consider a softer compound version myself. They'll probably perform really well though, while they last.

My nics seem to last pretty well, I get well over a year from them, and my last set did over 2000 mile. its only the shoulder knobs that are super soft, and they have never worn out. In my experience the sidewalls go well before the tread.
  • Northwind
    Are you using the Orcs or Evos? My last evo lost all the shape of the knobs after only about 10 rides- fair enough, some pretty hard rides in there, couple of uplifts, but it went right off after the edges went. They've still got life left but they've lost loads of grip.
    Uncompromising extremist