E3 Harelbeke *spoiler*

12346»

Comments

• tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,878
    Any links to highlights?

BTW Any reason for this race being on a Friday?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Moomaloid
    Moomaloid Posts: 2,040
    I now have to decide if Freire has shot his bolt for tomorrow.. i picked him for GW in PTP :roll:
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Somewhere in South West London, a guy in wooden shoes will be nursing a semi tonight...
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • LeicesterLad
    LeicesterLad Posts: 3,908
    David Millar recieved a broken collarbone for his efforts today!
  • pottssteve
    pottssteve Posts: 4,069
    David Millar recieved a broken collarbone for his efforts today!

Yes, v. p!ssed off about this. I was hoping to interview him before Amstel but now he won't be coming! :roll:
    I'd even thought up some questions that weren't about drugs. :)

Great win by Boonen though - smashing race.
    Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs
  • Moomaloid
    Moomaloid Posts: 2,040
    iainf72 wrote:
    Somewhere in South West London, a guy in wooden shoes will be nursing a semi tonight...

PMSL!!!!!!!!! :lol:
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    Rick? Are you Ok? There's been no sign from you. We just want to be sure you haven't blown up with excitement. Nobody's angry. We just want to know you're alright.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,242
    I'm all well thanks. Just watched it!!

Was going to say, whatever the result, it was a veeeery interesting E3.

Combo of weather and Canc getting caught in the 2nd group bringing it back together.

Hasn't been like that since 2004.

That was a smart sprint. Freire was obviously faster, but Boonen sprinted a much shorter course.

Fascinating.

Devolder looks good eh? van marke less so.

Cancellara does, obviously. Radioshack need to sort their kit out though.

Chuffed though. :D:D:D Attacks, tries to break it up, and then ends up winning a bunch sprint.

You just know you're going to get a Chavanel- Devolder break at 10km to go in the Ronde.....

Did notice that there were no QS boys there after the Taaienberg, and the radioshack boys, especially that French guy - were surprisingly strong.

Anyway, my gf's already gone to bed and got annoyed with my shouting/cheering. She thinks I'm pretty weird.

:D
  • rick_chasey
    Also. Gilbert.

WTF?

Told ya he was rubbish this season.
  • rick_chasey
    Also - to pre-empt the inevitable question - the reason the podium girl was a 60yr old women was in response to last year's E3 Harelbeke poster which was a naked young attractive podium girl with some mini riders cycling over her back.

There was outcry, so as a kind a tongue-in-cheeck recognition, they made this year's poster a 60yr old women.
  • dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    Anyone think Boonen's sprinting posture is more crouched now than in 2005-2010??.. pictures of him in bunch gallops, now show Tom has head and shoulders lowered more towards bars and stem now..very similar to Cavendish's sprinting profile Cav's invention. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery

yesterday and 2012

http://www.cyclingnews.com/races/e3-pri ... tos/213706

http://www.sbs.com.au/cyclingcentral/re ... /500/h/281

http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/photos/ra ... sprint.jpg

http://autobus.cyclingnews.com/photos/2 ... ONEN22.jpg
  • rick_chasey
    Just saw the clip of the Taaienberg again.

F*ck me, they fly up there quicker than I go in a headwind on the flat.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    Also - to pre-empt the inevitable question - the reason the podium girl was a 60yr old women was in response to last year's E3 Harelbeke poster which was a naked young attractive podium girl with some mini riders cycling over her back.

There was outcry, so as a kind a tongue-in-cheeck recognition, they made this year's poster a 60yr old women.

Did you notice that when Canc won RVV lt, one of the podium girls was crying. That was because een (Belgian BBC1) were making a crime drama with the race running through it as a theme and she was an actress playing a role....

Canc did nt even notice!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    I'm soooo tempted to imagine the plot line for this..............does it involve

a) a very small motor in a bicycle?

b) a Belgian and his Texan friend?

c) the smuggling of Spanish steaks on to the peloton's dinner plates?

d) an Irishman and the Chinese Government?

e) Katusha?

f) all of the above?
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    It's very weird - bear in mind i don't speak Dutch so I could nt get it but I watched the first 10 mins because of the cycling. Basically there are to people having an increasingly heated argument, someone mowing the lawn with ominous music behind it and a kid finds his dad's gun and shows his friend etc. Everything is sort of going ok then Tom Boonen, the belgian superstar, get's dropped - and it all goes bad

That's as far as I got! apparently that's not the only one, it's a particular guy that makes them and he's done a few with other sports too...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    ..........sounds like Morse. There's always someone cycling somewhere in Morse.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    edited September 2015
    Great photos from this race.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    Just saw the clip of the Taaienberg again.

F*ck me, they fly up there quicker than I go in a headwind on the flat.

Yeah, remember thinking the speed was bloody ridiculous.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Well, it's steepest at the bottom on the right bend going in to the climb. And they were attacking on the smooth gutter not the cobbles.
  • frenchfighter
    Supposedly Freire said he didn't know where the finish line was!
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    And Sep had to stay in the 52 to follow Boonen up the Taainberg!
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    rim.jpg
    miss+e3.jpg
    harelbeke.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest