Watching Flanders

nick hanson
nick hanson Posts: 1,655
edited March 2012 in Pro race
Am going over to watch the race this year.
Previously,we have watched on the mur ,but with the change of route,theOude Kwaremont,or Paterberg are looking favourite,with each being climbed 3times
Has anyone any experience of viewing on these climbs?
Thanks
so many cols,so little time!

Comments

• I've seen the race years ago on the Kwaremont, but of course no one will have seen it in it's current format. The crowds will be huge, especially with Boonen riding so well. If I was going, I'd head for the Kwaremont, there has been a big TV screen there in the past so you should be able to see them on the final lap and then watch the finish on the TV.

And it's where Cancellara is gonna attack! :wink:
  • danlikesbikes
    danlikesbikes Posts: 3,898
    Thats were I'm going to be watching & hopefully the big screen will still be there to watch the finish line
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • Le Commentateur
    Le Commentateur Posts: 4,099
    edited March 2012
    I noticed during Friday's E3 Harelbeke race that there is a warehouse-sized marquee structure being constructed on the flatter part of the hill above Kwaremont village. Lots of fencing all over the place too, so will be interesting to hear how easy it is to get close to the good parts of the climb.

I watched there last year in the small village square. Then of course this wasn't really near the finish, so while there was a decently large crowd, it wasn't a real crush. Parking nearby in some farmer's field was easy and cheap. We had a nice pre-race lunch in the bar's beer garden after the ladies race went through, then after a couple of local "Kwaremont" beers (in a nice tulip glass) and I was ready for the arrival of the breakaways. Once everyone had ridden past we watched the remaining kilometers on the big screen, the spectators sounding like a football match crowd every time a Belgian attacked.

RvV11_01.jpg

RvV11_02.jpg

RvV11_03.jpg

RvV11_04.jpg
    Photographer Bettini taking note of the angle – http://www.cyclingnews.com/races/tour-o ... tos/166491

RvV11_06.jpg

RvV11_05.jpg

RvV11_07.jpg

RvV11_08.jpg
  • nick hanson
    nick hanson Posts: 1,655
    Thanks for that,looking forward to it!! :D
    so many cols,so little time!
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    What I want to know is what this chap is going to do? No muur, where will he spectate?
    viewtopic.php?f=40002&t=12692704&p=16861386&hilit=ronde+2011#p16861386
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides