First proper ride on my Trance X

simonp123
simonp123 Posts: 490
edited March 2012 in MTB general
Well, I went for my first proper ride on my Trance X build today, also the first proper one since my carpal tunnel op in January.
I only went on the local towpaths and bridleways, but it was great to be out on the bike again. I thought I'd just do 3 mins or so and see how the hand was, but ended up doing about 1 1/4 4hours :)
No problems with the hand to speak of, just my legs getting tired :lol: No loss of grip or numbness, so pretty chuffed with that to be honest 8)

Although it wasn't the most strenuous test of the Trance's capability it did feel good, stable but also pretty quick, more so than my old 100mm travel Stumpjumper to be honest. It is certainly a very comfy ride, the RP23 really runs the bumps well and you can feel the rear wheel hunting out the best traction. As some have previously told me, even with the shock fully open there is little pedalling bob, but I ended up running the "open" setting on 1 so a little Pro Pedal active and that seemed really good.
The front end felt pretty familiar (if a little more stable) but then the fork is the one off the Stumpy one so I guess that figures. I might drop the pressure a bit though as it was running a bit under on sag.
The 70mm stem and 720mm bars seem quite well matched to the Trance, and gave a comfortable position and good control.
I will try and get over to the Croft Trail in Swindon next weekend to put the bike through some more testing stuff like rocks and twisty stuff.

Comments

• andy_welch
    andy_welch Posts: 1,101
    Sounds as though you had a fun time on the new bike. I also had my first proper outing on the new Trance (X2), if you don't count the rides I did on the demo bike :) Just a 15 mile circuit around Bennachie (Aberdeenshire). Had to walk a few sections due to lack of fitness and zero skills, but it was a fantastic day out and the bike seems just about perfect for what I want.

Cheers,

Andy
    Trance_Bennachie.JPG
  • simonp123
    Ah, much more adventurous than me! Mind you I was trying the bike and my hand out too, so thought I wouldn't puch it too much :wink:
  • andy_welch
    simonp123 wrote:
    Ah, much more adventurous than me! Mind you I was trying the bike and my hand out too, so thought I wouldn't puch it too much :wink:

So long as you were having fun, that's all that matters. To be honest that picture makes my ride look a lot more adventurous than it was. Bloody good fun though :)

Cheers,

Andy
  • simonp123
    andy_welch wrote:
    simonp123 wrote:

So long as you were having fun, that's all that matters. To be honest that picture makes my ride look a lot more adventurous than it was. Bloody good fun though :)

Cheers,

Andy

You mean you weren't riding over big rocks like the one in the foreground?
  • 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    simonp123 wrote:
    andy_welch wrote:
    simonp123 wrote:

Cheers,

Andy

Thats were the Trance will prove you made the right choice.
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • andy_welch
    simonp123 wrote:

Well I rode past a few big rocks like that (and carried the bike over a few more). Does that not count :)

Cheers,

Andy
  • simonp123
    andy_welch wrote:
    simonp123 wrote:

Well I rode past a few big rocks like that (and carried the bike over a few more). Does that not count :)

Cheers,

Andy

Nope! you have to promise to go over them next time :wink:
  • andy_welch
    simonp123 wrote:

Nope! you have to promise to go over them next time :wink:

Righty-oh. If I never post again you'll know why :)

Cheers,

Andy