Drive side BB cup reverse threaded?

felix.london
felix.london Posts: 4,067
edited March 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Just double checking (before I get busy with a mallet!) that the drive-side bottom bracket cup of my '06 Rockhopper should be reverse threaded.

Thanks
"Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Yes, they all are, although Ironically I have just removed the BB from a 2005/6 'hopper!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • felix.london
    Yes, they all are, although Ironically I have just removed the BB from a 2005/6 'hopper!

Simon

Ha! Wish I lived closer to you, you'd probably be able to help! The thing wont budge. The splined BB tool doesn't sit in too deep so as soon as I put some pressure on it it jumps out (damaging the splines in process)

Trek Session 8
  • DodgeT
    DodgeT Posts: 2,255
    Have you tried shocking it with a hide mallet or similar?

Doh - just re-read your first post..
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    The way to remember is: Left is right, and right is wrong... specifically the left cup (as you are sat on it)/non-drive is normal thread, while the right is wrong way round.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • felix.london
    benpinnick wrote:
    The way to remember is: Left is right, and right is wrong... specifically the left cup (as you are sat on it)/non-drive is normal thread, while the right is wrong way round.

Yeah - so opposite to pedals where right is right and left is wrong :?

Anyway f.ing thing wont budge and knackering the splines with each failed attempt. Will take it down to the bike shop and resist asking him to install the new BB. BB shell needs to be faced anyway.

Trek Session 8
  • mrmonkfinger
    mrmonkfinger Posts: 1,452
    An impact driver is pretty useful here, but only if it is an internal BB.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    benpinnick wrote:
    HT11's with little arrows are much easier for those of us with rubbish memories.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick wrote:

Yeah - so opposite to pedals where right is right and left is wrong :?

Anyway f.ing thing wont budge and knackering the splines with each failed attempt. Will take it down to the bike shop and resist asking him to install the new BB. BB shell needs to be faced anyway.

For pedals its backpedal on, pedal off.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • felix.london
    An impact driver is pretty useful here, but only if it is an internal BB.

It is an internal BB but I haven't seen my impact driver for about 10 years!

The Park Tools suggestion of putting a bolt through the BB tool to fix it to the BB sound like a good one. But the only bolts I've got to fit the thread are too long or too short :evil:

Trek Session 8
  • benpinnick
    You can zip tie it on too. Actually works!
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • felix.london
    8x20mm bolt through back of BB tool and tightened into spindle. Two smacks with a mallet. Sorted. Happy days :D

Trek Session 8