chainguide problems, truvatic + hope bb + 73mm bb shell

mrmonkfinger
mrmonkfinger Posts: 1,452
edited March 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Dear knowledgeable folk

I have a stylo 3.3 now running double & bash, my bike has a 73mm BB shell, and I've long since killed the sram bb and replaced it with a hope ext BB (with the sram conversion widgets and using one spacer drive side).

Is this setup compatible with a BB mounted chainguide (stinger, or the like)?

It looks like the chainguide plate would whack the inner ring bolts, if I just replaced the spacer with a plate. In fact it looks like I wouldn't be able to actually even fit the cranks in.

Do these cranks have a really narrow chainline or something?

Am I stuck with
a) not running a dual chainguide?
b) getting another set of crank arms?

if (b) then what crank arms have known to work in the same BB shell setup as me?

thanks all!

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Sram cranks do not have a spacer on the drive side for a 73mm BB and only run one on both sides with a 68mm BB .

some devices can work but many do not. a Shimano crankset would be better as there is more scope for playing with the left arm position.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • mrmonkfinger
    mrmonkfinger Posts: 1,452
    Thanks nicklouse. I thought that might be the answer... btw its a hope BB, so one spacer on drive side is as per normal. The original sram cups would have no spacers on 73mm.

I get the feeling I'm a bit stuck here as the sram crank is fixed by the non-drive cup :(