Cassette change for hills

essjaydee
essjaydee Posts: 917
edited March 2012 in Workshop
I currently have 12-26 gearing.

I'm not a hill climber and do struggle a bit on steep climbs! Am doing a rather hilly sportive at the weekend and wondering if it's worth changing to a an 11-28?

Bike is a Boardman Road Race with a compact 9 speed 50-34 chainring.

Rear mech is a Shimano 105 SS

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,273
    I don't want to sound patronising, but 34 x 26 is plenty... if you struggle in that gear, it's unlikely that a 34 x 28 will make miracles.
    That said, a Tiagra 9 speed cassette is 20 quid, if that makes you feel more confident, it's worth going for it. Rear mech should be OK, might need to adjust the rear screw (the one that pushes against the hanger) to have 7-8 mm clearance between the sprocket and the upper jockey wheel... but that might not be necessary... it depends how close it is now
    left the forum March 2023
  • hodge68
    hodge68 Posts: 162
    I changed from 12-25 to 12-28 on a compact and it made a bit of a difference, but most of all it was nice to know it was there.
    Ridley Boreas
    Spesh RockHopper pro
    Boardman cx comp
  • schweiz
    schweiz Posts: 1,644
    I don't want to sound patronising, but 34 x 26 is plenty... if you struggle in that gear, it's unlikely that a 34 x 28 will make miracles.
    That said, a Tiagra 9 speed cassette is 20 quid, if that makes you feel more confident, it's worth going for it. Rear mech should be OK, might need to adjust the rear screw (the one that pushes against the hanger) to have 7-8 mm clearance between the sprocket and the upper jockey wheel... but that might not be necessary... it depends how close it is now

That is very patronising!

The difference in ratio from 34x26 to 34x28 is only 1:1.3 to 1:1.2 so not huge numerically but an 8% gain in mechanical advantage. I use a cassette with 25 as the largest sprocket on my everyday wheels and 28 when I go into the mountains and I wouldn't give up that 28 for all the Toblerone in Switzerland!

The only problem with your plan is that IIRC 9 speed Shimano cassettes only have 27 as the biggest sprocket although I believe SRAM do a 28 and it is compatible. Just don't cross chain as the chain capacity of a nine speed Shimano derailleur is only supposed to take a 27 tooth sprocket.
  • ugo.santalucia
    schweiz wrote:

That is very patronising!

The difference in ratio from 34x26 to 34x28 is only 1:1.3 to 1:1.2 so not huge numerically but an 8% gain in mechanical advantage. I use a cassette with 25 as the largest sprocket on my everyday wheels and 28 when I go into the mountains and I wouldn't give up that 28 for all the Toblerone in Switzerland!

The only problem with your plan is that IIRC 9 speed Shimano cassettes only have 27 as the biggest sprocket although I believe SRAM do a 28 and it is compatible. Just don't cross chain as the chain capacity of a nine speed Shimano derailleur is only supposed to take a 27 tooth sprocket.

Deore 9 speed 11-28 is available at Chain Reaction Cycles... perfectly compatible
  • JamesB
    JamesB Posts: 1,184
    I changed from 12-25 to 12-28 on a compact and it made a bit of a difference, but most of all it was nice to know it was there.

Indeed it is nice to have a reserve gear, good psychology :)

maybe hilly sportive is Cheshire Cat ? I too am debating a 12-26 or 13-29 swop; I know I`m quite capable riding a 26 up 1:4 eg devils Staircase, and rarely use a 29, but to avoid `wobblers` on Mow Cop a lower gear may help if near a standstill :(
  • essjaydee
    Thanks for replies

Chain reaction have stock of the SRAM pg950 11-28, hence my original question.
  • ugo.santalucia
    JamesB wrote:

Indeed it is nice to have a reserve gear, good psychology :)

maybe hilly sportive is Cheshire Cat ? I too am debating a 12-26 or 13-29 swop; I know I`m quite capable riding a 26 up 1:4 eg devils Staircase, and rarely use a 29, but to avoid `wobblers` on Mow Cop a lower gear may help if near a standstill :(

Since when the Chashire Cat is Hilly? As far as I recall, it's a long flat route with Mow Cop in it... Mow Cop is a hell of a lot easier than the Devil Staircase... I wouldn't change the cassette for 50 metres at 1:4
  • JamesB
    Since when the Chashire Cat is Hilly? As far as I recall, it's a long flat route with Mow Cop in it... Mow Cop is a hell of a lot easier than the Devil Staircase... I wouldn't change the cassette for 50 metres at 1:4

well I will bow to your knowledge on this :) ; I don`t know area at all ---one reason for riding the event --but there seem to be more hills than Mow Cop !!

I`ll keep the 29 for Fred Whitton and Raid Corsica (maybe); certainly was glad to have it, and use it, last year last 1/2 mile Cime de Bonnette :) & top Col d`iseran where air bit thinner :(
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    If it makes you feel more confident, swap it, but how are you going to feel if you still struggle or fail after swapping the cassette, where do you go from there.
    Personally i think that there's too much choice now, it wasn't that long ago that you didn't have compact chainsets and huge cassettes. With that lack of choice you were left with one option - train harder. If you fail you fail, failure should make you train harder so that you don't fail next time, not to go out and swap your cassette or chainset.

Just get out there and enjoy yourself.
  • JamesB
    failure is not an option :):) enjoyment is !
  • nweststeyn
    nweststeyn Posts: 1,574
    I ride 39 x 28... I don't really want it to be any easier.

My girlfriend rides the climbs I do in 39 x 25 and struggles... but they key thing is the rate that she is improving. The hills get easier every time for her and soon she'll be outclimbing me at speed. Train hard in a hard gear and you're only gonna get stronger.
  • JamesB
    I Think a 29 was appropriate for this one :) ; just 45 km long and 2 000m + climbing avg 7%:

6999963731_87f855318d.jpg
    View down last bends Pico Veleta by jamesld8, on Flickr
  • jibberjim
    jibberjim Posts: 2,810
    nweststeyn wrote:

My girlfriend rides the climbs I do in 39 x 25 and struggles... but they key thing is the rate that she is improving. The hills get easier every time for her and soon she'll be outclimbing me at speed. Train hard in a hard gear and you're only gonna get stronger.

Do you actually understand how gearing works? If riding up hills in 39x28 makes you better - why not ride up in 39x25 or 53x11 ? Because it doesn't, everyone has a preferred cadence - which will change depending on speed, and gradient and stuff, but they will put out more power with less harm to later efforts if they can stay within that range.

By changing the workout to a strength one - which is all that happens with very low cadences - what you actually do is lessen the training benefit of climbing the hill, so far from making you a stronger cyclist, you'll actually be getting less benefit than you could've, as well as taking longer to get up the hill.

From Strava, it would appear I'm quite a bit stronger than average up hill, yet because my preferred cadences are so high, I ride 34x28 or 36x28 depending on which bike, that doesn't mean those gears will be right for others, but then there's no reason any others would be right.

If you're struggling, get a lower gear, nothing more complicated than that.
    Jibbering Sports Stuff: http://jibbering.com/sports/
  • JamesB
    If you're struggling, get a lower gear, nothing more complicated than that

absolutely, some of teh lines of thought above about `toughing it out ` would have us back on fixed 44x17 gearing at all times :(:(

The Pros use gearing to match the hills, did not Contador use a SRAM compact with 32 or 29 sprocket for one of the real steep Giro / Vuelta climbs ? (my memory of exact escapes me).

Nothing worse than watch someone grinding up a hill on too big a gear when all technology exists to spin a lower gear and save your kness to boot.
  • robbo2011
    robbo2011 Posts: 1,017
    schweiz wrote:

+1 34x28 all the way here.
  • nweststeyn
    nweststeyn Posts: 1,574
    jibberjim wrote:
    nweststeyn wrote:

Do you actually understand how gearing works? If riding up hills in 39x28 makes you better - why not ride up in 39x25 or 53x11 ? Because it doesn't, everyone has a preferred cadence - which will change depending on speed, and gradient and stuff, but they will put out more power with less harm to later efforts if they can stay within that range.

By changing the workout to a strength one - which is all that happens with very low cadences - what you actually do is lessen the training benefit of climbing the hill, so far from making you a stronger cyclist, you'll actually be getting less benefit than you could've, as well as taking longer to get up the hill.

From Strava, it would appear I'm quite a bit stronger than average up hill, yet because my preferred cadences are so high, I ride 34x28 or 36x28 depending on which bike, that doesn't mean those gears will be right for others, but then there's no reason any others would be right.

If you're struggling, get a lower gear, nothing more complicated than that.

Yes, I do indeed. You seem to have misunderstood what I'm trying to say. I have a 28 on the back, it allows me to ride at a comfortable cadence for me and I don't feel the need for a 34 on the front.

She will most likely change to a 28 on the back soon too, I didn't say riding a 25 is better, I was trying to imply that while she gets up the climbs at the same speed as me in the 25, she will feel the benefit of being able to climb in with the option of having the 28 there.

Must have typed in too much haste. However, I still don't think it's necessary to ride with a 34x28 for most of the climbs in the UK. a 39x28 or 34x25 should be adequate for most people to maintain a cadence up around 70 to 90, and more for strong riders who really like to spin up the hills.
  • Frank the tank
    Frank the tank Posts: 6,553
    I'm changing my compacts back to standard 53/39s because I just can't seem to get on with twiddling and seem to get along better with the higher gear/slower cadence 12/23 on the cassette.
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • essjaydee
    I've just ordered an 11-28....I figure other than a few quid spent on a new cassette, I've got nothing to lose by trying it :!:
    Last big hill I did on the 34 - 26 my cadence was really low and it was a struggle. A lower gear would have been used if I'd had one.
    I'm a 46 year old, 16 stone ex smoker, so never going to be an ace climber :!:
    Not doing the Cheshire, doing the Kendal Sportive (75 miles, 7500 ft).

Thanks for the replies 8)
  • JamesB
    I'm changing my compacts back to standard 53/39s because I just can't seem to get on with twiddling and seem to get along better with the higher gear/slower cadence 12/23 on the cassette.

if nothing else has come out of this thread it is that everyone is different, has different climbing techniques, and differing amounts power and weight

Best wishes with Kendal, personally I agree with your gear choice; I would use a 29 Campag / compoact setup for such terrain :)
  • schweiz
    JamesB wrote:
    I Think a 29 was appropriate for this one :) ; just 45 km long and 2 000m + climbing avg 7%:

:?: 2000m in 45 km is an average of 4.44%
  • symo
    symo Posts: 1,743
    I also use 11-28 with a 34. Mind you I have lived in Devon not Buckinghamshire so I don't know about fast climbing because I am crap at it, but on my regular Sunday 80 mile route I need the 28 end of story. Twiddling up the hills past others MTFUing their way to the top is fun and towards the end I love it on one over 25% climb.

Sun_run.png

Horses for courses but most people on here probably aren't using their whole cassette most the time or have high enough cadence. My average is around 80, would prefer it to be 90 with around 70 on the climbs but hey ho.
    +++++++++++++++++++++
    we are the proud, the few, Descendents.

Panama - finally putting a nail in the economic theory of the trickle down effect.
  • JamesB
    2000m in 45 km is an average of 4.44%

actually checking on CBB it is:

Average: 6.2 %
    Length: 43 km
    Height start: 700 m
    Height top: 3400 m
    Gradient: 2700 m

underestimated height gain from memory, slightly overestimated gradient; nice pic though :):)
  • schweiz
  • liquor box
    liquor box Posts: 184
    hodge68 wrote:
    I agree it is nice to have a backup if required, I have a 9 cog cassette and try to only use 7 of these as I am trying to train myself to be able to use a "faster" set up in a few years. I try to never use the 2 easiest gears but have had occasions where into a huge head wind up hill after not eating enough I have resorted to a granny gear to get home. I DO NOT belive in walking a bike so it is nice to have some backup.

I would never critisize anyones choice of equipment, if that is what they are comfortable with then go with it, I probably make gearing decisions that other would mock, but at least I am out there trying!
  • essjaydee
    Well the 28-11 was definately better today and it hasn't upset the ratios throughout the cassette, compared to the 26-12, so it's staying on for now :)

It was definately easier to spin the legs on the steep sections :)
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    schweiz wrote:
    JamesB wrote:

:?: 2000m in 45 km is an average of 4.44%

Depends how you assess the terrain. The actual distance spent climbing is probably not the entire 45km; the average gradient given will only typically be for the ascending sections of the route.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}