The 'Winter Bike'. (yes, that ol' chestnut)

markdavidhill
markdavidhill Posts: 279
edited March 2012 in Workshop
My Lynskey is my 'posh' bike, on a financial commitment basis. It's also a tough bike; titanium, Ultegra, full SKS guards.

BUT I still have my Secteur which I no longer enjoy riding.

Should I keep the Secteur for extra salty winter days or should I just get on with it and ride the Lynskey, which is sublime?

The Lynskey would be hosed down after a 'gritted road' ride and kept it in the warm house, where it lives anyway.

Thank you.
Team Madison Genesis Volare & Condor Super Acciaio

Comments

• rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    How on earth can you not enjoy riding a decent bike (which the Secteur is)?! But anyway, I ride all year round and after every winter, I end up buying a variety of new cassettes, chains, chainrings etc. Two months of winter probably cause more wear and tear than two years or more of the other 10 months. Chainrings for the Dawes are half the price of those for my carbon bikes - the cassette is 2/3rds the price and a chain a quarter of the price. And anyway, I still enjoy the old Dawes.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    Depends how much winter action it sees.

For a winter bike I'd look to fit more robust tyres (I use 28mm Schwalbe Marathons, possibly overkill) and mudguards are a must to keep you and the bike clean. I'd use the Secteur for winter and fit it out accordingly. Is there clearance to use 25mm tyres and clip on mudguards on that frame?
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • My Lynskey is my 'posh' bike, on a financial commitment basis. It's also a tough bike; titanium, Ultegra, full SKS guards.

Not your question but may I ask how do you find postion and comfort for back and neck comparing the two bikes - the sectuer is particularily upright which I need for my back how do you find the Lynskey?
  • My Lynskey is my 'posh' bike, on a financial commitment basis. It's also a tough bike; titanium, Ultegra, full SKS guards.

Not your question but may I ask how do you find postion and comfort for back and neck comparing the two bikes - the sectuer is particularily upright which I need for my back how do you find the Lynskey?

I am quite flexible and find the position on both bikes very good. The Lynskey is set up to be more aggressive. The ride quality on the Lynskey is sublime which aids overall comfort.

I now find the Secteur to 'feel' too big, not that it is. The Secteur is less responsive in power delivery and the steering lacks reaction. It was my first bike and in some ways it is, a 'first bike'.
    Team Madison Genesis Volare & Condor Super Acciaio
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    .......and the steering lacks reaction.

You really need to get those stem bolts tightened :lol:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • I am quite flexible and find the position on both bikes very good. The Lynskey is set up to be more aggressive. The ride quality on the Lynskey is sublime which aids overall comfort.

I now find the Secteur to 'feel' too big, not that it is. The Secteur is less responsive in power delivery and the steering lacks reaction. It was my first bike and in some ways it is, a 'first bike'.

Thanks