Cassette advice

stumack
stumack Posts: 20
edited March 2012 in Workshop
Allo folks

Looking for a bit of help to get me going on my road bike this year.

I've got a 2005 roubaix 39/52 and 12/23 and I'm looking for a bit of help dragging my fat arse up some hills by changing that setup without ripping out the lot/buying a new bike. I know i should MTFU but it absolutely kills the enjoyment and the willing to go back out and like someone else said on another thread, it's nice to have a gear in reserve.

Any help appreciated, other than just get on with it lard arse :lol:

Comments

• grandad3
    grandad3 Posts: 322
    Go for a 34-50 compact chainset, matching it to whatever groupset you have. Thats the easiest,quickest and cheapest route to go.
    'Collapse the Light into Earth'
  • wakou
    wakou Posts: 165
    ..AND get a cassette with with lower gearing...
    "I had righteous got my wheel backmost from a fettlin' at the LBS and was hunt transport to equitation it. As it was Refrigerated in the AM......"
  • JamesB
    JamesB Posts: 1,184
    like someone else said on another thread, it's nice to have a gear in reserve.

yes that`s what I said on `tother thread ! You are really using a high bottom gear setup, so go with advice from previous 2 posts ---both---and you`ll enjoy more, be less knackered and save your knees :) Cash spent will be worth it ...
  • stumack
    will either of those options mean that i'll lose the use or need to upgrade my gear shifters though since they're dual control soras?
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Not as long as you stick to the same speed ie number of sprockets / chainrings.

Is your Sora rear shifter 8 speed? If so, you need an 8 speed cassette. Same for the front shifter; I'm assuming you're going from a standard double to a compact double so you'll be fine. You might need to drop the front mech a bit lower when you fit the compact chainset cos the biggest chainring is smaller
  • Slack
    Slack Posts: 326
    Change your cassette first, to say something like a 12-27, or if you can't get that range for your drive train, you'll have to go to a 28 cassette.

See how you go with that first before going to the expense of a compact chainset. If that still doesn't give you enough, then you'll have to consider a compact chainset in addition. Try and choose a cassette with even small spacing between the cogs, because if you do go with a compact chainset, the jumps between gears will be more noticeable and fairly annoying.

Can't comment on the MTFU thing, because it depends on your talent, age and terrain. If you cycle with a local club, you could get an idea of what the average local club rider uses in terms of gearing.
    Plymouthsteve for councillor!!
  • bexley5200
    bexley5200 Posts: 692
    you shoud be alright alright with a 26/28 x 13ish i have just started on the bike to get fitter for the summer
    going downhill slowly
  • stumack
    talent nil, age 35 (feels like 45 some days) and terrain not particularly bad but i just need that little bit more than what my bike gives me just now.

all looks a bit more promising than i thought though as long as i can get an 8 speed ok. Does the panel think i need to be looking for a sora cassette or am i ok with just any shimano?
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Any 8 speed Shimano or SRAM
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    keef66 wrote:
    Any 8 speed Shimano or SRAM
    Any 8sp Shimano-fit : so Shimano or SRAM or BBB, etc
    - just not Campag, nothing other than 8sp
  • stumack
    thanks a lot guys

just found i've got a 12 or 13-26 hyperglide stuck on my old Orbit so I'll be sticking that on when i find one of my pals with the nescessary tools. Now to think about the front :)