A question about 29er tyres and 69er's.

70\ʹspenguin
70\ʹspenguin Posts: 957
edited March 2012 in MTB beginners
Since my crash in the summer i have spent all my time on the road, either commuting or mostly doing short hour long fitness runs and the odd half day'er. I switched to rigid forks, narrow flat bars and slicks and so the bike looks more like a hybrid than an MTB these days.

My intention is to go 69 for the summer; keep the rigid carbon forks, pop the bigger wheel on the front and do some light trails, paths etc.

My plan was to keep the slicks for now as the 26'er and then go lk knobbly offroad 69'er.

I have a couple of questions though.

Firstly, is it possible to go full slick as a 69 set up and if so would my road ride be awful? Would i notice much of a difference from running my standard 26 set up, moving up to a 29 up front? Im currently running Conti sport contacts.

Secondly i cant seem to find a 29" slick. Would i need to buy a 700c instead? Of course if the thought of going slick 69 wouldnt work then id just get knobblies and stick to 26 for the road.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks
Matthew :)

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    29 and 700 are the same size.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    nicklouse wrote:
    29 and 700 are the same size.
    Yep, I use 29 inch "MTB" wheels on my CX bike, with 700c slicks on. Allowing for a sensible width, any 700c tyre will fit a 29" rim.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Yes thank you. I knew the diameter was the same but i was unsure of the width and if it would be compatable. I didnt make that clear. :oops: But that helps a lot.

Im not sure what the ride would be like on the road. I know people like the 69 offroad, but i wouldnt want to splash out on a tyre for the road and then hate the way the bike feels, if staying 26 front and rear would be better.

Im not sure if anyone could shed any light on this. Also wasnt sure which forum to put this in either :oops:

Thanks again
    Matthew :)
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Depends what the stated tyre width is, and the width of your rims.
  • Inner rim is 23mm. I nipped off and bought a 700c Continental Sport contact and tried to fit it :shock: .

After some effort i got the thing on and pumped it up, fitted the wheel and gave it a spin..................Half the tire was sitting tight under the rim edge and the other half about 5 mm deeper in the rim. I bounced, pulled, bounced some more, deflated, inflated and just couldnt get the fekkin thing true.

AM i missing something here or am i being incredibly stupid? (i popped my normal wheel on after and went for a training ride in anger and broke my pb by two mins tho :mrgreen: )
  • supersonic
    Far too wide for that tyre! Have a look near the bottom of this page, a good guide for road tyres:

http://sheldonbrown.com/tire-sizing.html
  • supersonic wrote:
    Far too wide for that tyre! Have a look near the bottom of this page, a good guide for road tyres:

http://sheldonbrown.com/tire-sizing.html

How odd! I am on that same page now reading about the sizing. I got so bored i didnt make it to the bottom though :P

Thank you SS. Ill take the tyre back and find something more suitable (a).

Cheers :)
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    What the heck is a 69er?
  • supersonic
    I wouldn't Google it...

A bike with a 26 and 29 wheel.