Re: Pastey boys Cannondale Prophet (Finished again )

pastey_boy
pastey_boy Posts: 2,083
edited December 2012 in Your mountain bikes
i picked up a second hand cannondale prophet frame the other day with the intention of building it up for my girlfriend but once i got it home i started looking at it and liking it so im going to dismantle my recently built azonic avenger and swap most of the bits over to the prophet frame. only parts that wont swap over are the headset and dropper post. the prophet comes with a fox float r rear air shock and whilst it is a good unit it lacks the adjustability of the marzocchi roco tst air shock on the azonic and as luck would have it the shocks swap straight over too as fox and marzocchi use the same mounting hardware dimensions, so the shocks have been swapped too, now the prophet has virtually brand new shock with the tst switch which i rate highly. the azonic will be kitted out the a full inc brakes sram x9 30spd groupset and donated to the girlfriend. the cannondale frame, surprisingly is nearly 3lbs lighter than the rather heavy azonic frame plus the prophet is 2 inches longer in the top tube, being honest the azonic did feel a little short so im looking forward totrying it out. only bits i have had to buy is a hope 1.5-1-1/8 stepdown headset and a gravity dropper multi turbo post and a new gear cable.
CIMG0001-9.jpg

frame cannondale prophet 2009 inc marzocchi roco air tst
forks rockshox revelation rl dual air 150mm 15mm thru
headset hope cnc 1.5inch stepdown
stem easton haven 70mm
bars easton haven carbon 711mm
grips odi intense inc snap caps
seatpost gravity dropper turbo multi 4 inch drop
saddle charge knife ti
seat clamp black cnc 31.8mm
transmission 1 x 10 set up
chainset the hive fifteen g xc arms and bb
chainring shimano deore xt steel composite 32t
bash k-edge
chainring bolts mowa cnc
chain device homemade carbon fibre
cassette shimano slx 10spd 11/36
chain kmc ti nitride coated
rear mech sram xx med cage
shifter sram double tap 10spd trigger
cable clarks prelube inc middleburn oiler
pedals shimano xtr spd m970
wheels
rims stans no tubes arch ex white
hubs stans ztr 32h hubs front 15mm thru rear 10mm thru
spokes black stainless bladed
nipples brass red ed coated
tyres schwalbe graphite nobby nics 2.25 tubeless ready inc stans fluid
brakes
shimano saint m810 4 piston inc goodridge hoses, shimano floting 6 bolt rotors 203/180mm , red mowa rotor bolts and red steel caliper bolts.
Viner Salviati
Shark Aero Pro
Px Ti Custom
Cougar 531
Sab single speed
Argon 18 E-112 TT
One-one Ti 456 Evo
Ridley Cheetah TT
Orange Clockwork 2007 ltd ed
Yeti ASR 5
Cove Hummer XC Ti

Comments

• Beardface
    Beardface Posts: 5,495
    Should look nice.. look forward to seeing it!

Question - what's happening with the Float R shock? What are the sizes etc, if you're selling and it's 200x57, I may be interested.
  • pastey_boy
    Stav wrote:
    Should look nice.. look forward to seeing it!

Question - what's happening with the Float R shock? What are the sizes etc, if you're selling and it's 200x57, I may be interested.
    it is the size you need but its going on the azonic frame i have, but as im a nice fella here is a link to something that may interest you :D i was was going to buy it as a spare.
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/160763991677? ... 1438.l2649
    Viner Salviati
    Shark Aero Pro
    Px Ti Custom
    Cougar 531
    Sab single speed
    Argon 18 E-112 TT
    One-one Ti 456 Evo
    Ridley Cheetah TT
    Yeti ASR 5
    Cove Hummer XC Ti
  • Beardface
    Beardface Posts: 5,495
    I'd high 5 you through the internet if it was possible. Cheers buddy! ;)
  • specialeyes
    specialeyes Posts: 542
    BR should rename the "your mountain bikes" in honour of you! :D
    Look forward to seeing it built/blinged up!
  • pastey_boy
    started to build her. got the post fitted ive had to get creative with the cable routing but ive figured it out. really impressed with the gravity dropper, weighs bang on 470 grams and it seems to suit the bike. back wheel and rear mech and chainset is fitted but im waiting on the headset so stuck until tomorrow. ive got to say that the tiny bits of red work well with the frame , i could actually be on the verge of creating a fairly nice looking bike.
    CIMG00012-1.jpg
    Viner Salviati
    Shark Aero Pro
    Px Ti Custom
    Cougar 531
    Sab single speed
    Argon 18 E-112 TT
    One-one Ti 456 Evo
    Ridley Cheetah TT
    Yeti ASR 5
    Cove Hummer XC Ti
  • mrmonkfinger
    mrmonkfinger Posts: 1,452
    Will be a tidy bit of kit when complete. Dropper seatpost, roco air & dual revs, nice.

Are you going to run it in upright or slack setting? They have an unfashionably steep head angle IIRC.
  • pastey_boy
    Will be a tidy bit of kit when complete. Dropper seatpost, roco air & dual revs, nice.

Are you going to run it in upright or slack setting? They have an unfashionably steep head angle IIRC.
    im going to try both settings, the marzocchi shock has a 57mm stroke but the original fox float only had 50mm so on the slack setting i may get some tyre rub on the back of the seat tube although reading many accounts of people trying this it all depends on tyres used also. ive actually just had the idea of putting the bike up on the stand, removing the rear shock and then compressing the swing arm until the tyre hits the seat tube then measuring the gap between the shock mount eyes. i will report back in a minute.
    Viner Salviati
    Shark Aero Pro
    Px Ti Custom
    Cougar 531
    Sab single speed
    Argon 18 E-112 TT
    One-one Ti 456 Evo
    Ridley Cheetah TT
    Yeti ASR 5
    Cove Hummer XC Ti
  • bluechair84
    bluechair84 Posts: 4,352
    I used to have a Prophet and ran it in 'xc mode' all of the time and it never felt 'unfashionable' :) . The sus never felt right in FR mode and I clouted the pedals a lot. But - it's all personal preference! Before I bought the Torque I was going to do the exact same thing and buy a Prophet frame, move all the components off the hardtail and have it as the bike my Girlfriend could ride with me. It's a stonking light AM frame.
  • pastey_boy
    using the above measurement method, the shock would have to compress 68mm before the tyre touches the seat tube and thats in the slack setting using a 2.25" nobby nic so it will be ok in either mode and it will boost the prophets travel to 150mm ish without altering the geometry plus it will be a good match for the 150mm fork travel. just waiting for evan to delivery my headset.
    Viner Salviati
    Shark Aero Pro
    Px Ti Custom
    Cougar 531
    Sab single speed
    Argon 18 E-112 TT
    One-one Ti 456 Evo
    Ridley Cheetah TT
    Yeti ASR 5
    Cove Hummer XC Ti
  • mrmonkfinger
    pastey_boy wrote:
    it will be ok in either mode and it will boost the prophets travel to 150mm ish without altering the geometry plus it will be a good match for the 150mm fork travel.

cool bananas

The prophet was on my list a while back, along with several santa cruzs and a few other older (affordable) single-pivot-plus-proper-seat-tube frames.
  • mrmonkfinger
    it never felt 'unfashionable' :)

my current frame is (a) quite old and (b) 'unfashionably' steep :)
  • pastey_boy
    as i mentioned, i purchased the dale to build up for my other half but after reading many positive reviews i thought it would be rude not to try it out. if i dont like it i will just get another frame but i have a feeling im going to love it. i waste a hell of a lot of money building then getting rid of bikes and i could quite easily go and buy any off the shelf bike out there but i love hunting for parts and the actual building process whilst not paying over the odds. i get it wrong sometimes but enjoyment i get from it all offsets that. i point blank refuse to pay the hideous prices of today and i will only pay full whack if there is no other option.ive itemised each part and put what i paid for it just to show how much you can build a high spec bike for.
    Viner Salviati
    Shark Aero Pro
    Px Ti Custom
    Cougar 531
    Sab single speed
    Argon 18 E-112 TT
    One-one Ti 456 Evo
    Ridley Cheetah TT
    Yeti ASR 5
    Cove Hummer XC Ti
  • pastey_boy
    if my headset does not turn up tomorrow i will go into my local evans store and hide a piece of strong french cheese near their clothing display :evil:
    Viner Salviati
    Shark Aero Pro
    Px Ti Custom
    Cougar 531
    Sab single speed
    Argon 18 E-112 TT
    One-one Ti 456 Evo
    Ridley Cheetah TT
    Yeti ASR 5
    Cove Hummer XC Ti
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    pastey_boy wrote:
    if my headset does not turn up tomorrow i will go into my local evans store and hide a piece of strong french cheese near their clothing display :evil:

:lol: pickled herring
  • bluechair84
    bluechair84 Posts: 4,352
    pastey_boy wrote:

Rub a little on all the inner shorts :) Mmmm cheesy zone.
  • pastey_boy
    pastey_boy wrote:

Rub a little on all the inner shorts :) Mmmm cheesy zone.
    f@@~@~n evans they've sent the wrong headset :evil: :evil: :evil:
    absolute waste of time, gonna ring now and see what happens :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
    Viner Salviati
    Shark Aero Pro
    Px Ti Custom
    Cougar 531
    Sab single speed
    Argon 18 E-112 TT
    One-one Ti 456 Evo
    Ridley Cheetah TT
    Yeti ASR 5
    Cove Hummer XC Ti
  • pastey_boy
    how weird !!!!! seems their customer care line is out of order. looks like im gonna have to spend my only day off not riding .
    Viner Salviati
    Shark Aero Pro
    Px Ti Custom
    Cougar 531
    Sab single speed
    Argon 18 E-112 TT
    One-one Ti 456 Evo
    Ridley Cheetah TT
    Yeti ASR 5
    Cove Hummer XC Ti
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    evans are utter shite imo, almost up there with halfrauds if you ask me. expensive, slow delivery, atleast with crc they're cheap and slow!!
  • pastey_boy
    problem solved, ive taken a headset of an old bike i sold to a mate and nicked his. its a clearance issue, the hope fits his fine and the fork controls miss the downtube, on the dale id id used the hope there would have been no clearance. the token 1.5 reducer im gonna fit is a hefty piece of kit but it has proper 1.5 bearings fitted so it should take more abuse than the hope although its slightly heavier.
    as for evans, its the 3rd order they have properly messed up for me (and the last) only used them as the headset was much cheaper than anyone else.
    Viner Salviati
    Shark Aero Pro
    Px Ti Custom
    Cougar 531
    Sab single speed
    Argon 18 E-112 TT
    One-one Ti 456 Evo
    Ridley Cheetah TT
    Yeti ASR 5
    Cove Hummer XC Ti
  • pastey_boy
    heres a few pics of te dale in its current state, sorry for the utter toss pics but very bright outside. will take more when better conditions. went to degla on sun for a quick ride and everything seemed good, the extra 2 inches on the top tube made a huge difference and it also felt more nimble. got a bit of work to do with regards to shock settings but nearly there. the gravity dropper impressed me lots. had to put longer hoses on the brakes, i think they will benefit from another bleed. i may go back to full ust tyres as the tubeless ready schwalbes felt a little weedy in the sidwalls and even at 30psi the back tyre folded on me once or twice, it'll be a bit more weight but if it improves the ride feel im not bothered. i may even get away with a shorter stem so if anyone has a 50/55mm stem they would like to swap for a 70mm easton haven then please let me know (another haven in either colour would be preferable)
    CIMG0002-9.jpg
    CIMG0003-8.jpg
    CIMG0004-9.jpg
    Viner Salviati
    Shark Aero Pro
    Px Ti Custom
    Cougar 531
    Sab single speed
    Argon 18 E-112 TT
    One-one Ti 456 Evo
    Ridley Cheetah TT
    Yeti ASR 5
    Cove Hummer XC Ti
  • Nice!

Regarding the tyres, might I reccomend the TLR snakeskin nics? They have a much more supportive sidewall, and even the double defence jobbies I have weigh less than full UST tyres.

Mising some of your "unique" touches. Where is all the gold?
  • pastey_boy
    Nice!

Regarding the tyres, might I reccomend the TLR snakeskin nics? They have a much more supportive sidewall, and even the double defence jobbies I have weigh less than full UST tyres.

Mising some of your "unique" touches. Where is all the gold?
    the tyres i have fitted weigh 540g and the ust version i have lying around weigh 740g, might just stick them on and save myself the best part of £100 but i will look if i can see any bargains before adding nearly 1lbs to my bike. as for the gold it is restricted to the reach adjusters on my saint levers,, i did try a few bits here and there b ut this bike would look even worse than pasteyish with gold upon it. i may get a black stem although the mag colour matches the colour on the shock perfectly . i also think it will look better with black tyres in place. im also lusting after a pair of easton haven wheels, the arch ex's ive built are nice but i think my 250lbs of mass will break them eventually. the eastons will be lighter but seem to have heftier rims.
    just been looking at your bionicon and marvelling at your inside leg measurement :D
    Viner Salviati
    Shark Aero Pro
    Px Ti Custom
    Cougar 531
    Sab single speed
    Argon 18 E-112 TT
    One-one Ti 456 Evo
    Ridley Cheetah TT
    Yeti ASR 5
    Cove Hummer XC Ti
  • pastey_boy
    merlin have the snakeskin tl ready 2.25" nobbies for £68 posted for the pair , might nip to chorley tomorrow when im out on my travels.
    Viner Salviati
    Shark Aero Pro
    Px Ti Custom
    Cougar 531
    Sab single speed
    Argon 18 E-112 TT
    One-one Ti 456 Evo
    Ridley Cheetah TT
    Yeti ASR 5
    Cove Hummer XC Ti
  • Do it!

I'm a similar weight, and had to swap out my regular TLR (just the rear one though, I've left the front) for partially the same reason as you. Had no complaints at all with the double defence one.

With regards to my inside leg, it's an odd one that. It's the best position for pedaling, but in reality it's way too high. If I need to dab, I'm fooked! The middle position is probably the best all-rounder, but I don't get proper extension of my legs. It's the same size as the Edison, and I never had this problem with that. Want to get out for a proper test ride to sort it out, but I am waiting for my surgeon to clear me for it.
  • pastey_boy
    Do it!

I'm a similar weight, and had to swap out my regular TLR (just the rear one though, I've left the front) for partially the same reason as you. Had no complaints at all with the double defence one.

With regards to my inside leg, it's an odd one that. It's the best position for pedaling, but in reality it's way too high. If I need to dab, I'm fooked! The middle position is probably the best all-rounder, but I don't get proper extension of my legs. It's the same size as the Edison, and I never had this problem with that. Want to get out for a proper test ride to sort it out, but I am waiting for my surgeon to clear me for it.
    if its any consolation im riding like an obese asthmatic at the moment, really not been getting out on the bike at all, probably as unfit as ive ever been at the moment, going to start a bit of road work in the evenings now its lighter and im going to make sure i get out on the mtb every weekend from now on. i had nearly a year off the bike due to a hernia op but didnt take long to get back into it, just listen and take heed of your surgeon as i didnt and bust my stitches open on the previous hernia op that i had to have corrected.
    Viner Salviati
    Shark Aero Pro
    Px Ti Custom
    Cougar 531
    Sab single speed
    Argon 18 E-112 TT
    One-one Ti 456 Evo
    Ridley Cheetah TT
    Yeti ASR 5
    Cove Hummer XC Ti
  • Muttly1981
    Muttly1981 Posts: 815
    pastey_boy wrote:

Wouldn't be that bad if you did that anyway, nipped into the Chill Factor store for (hopefully) some new race kit and apart from a few pairs of Altura shorts and a few half decent mtb's the whole store is filled with road orientated garbage :evil: Asked one of the staff if they had any DH innertubes (all behind the counter now) he looked at me as if i'd asked him if he'd like to take a syringe full of AIDS filled blood in the eyeball.
    What if your dreams and fears existed in the same place? What if to get to heaven, you had to brave hell? What if everything you've ever wanted cost you everything you've ever achieved? Would you still go there?
  • pastey_boy
    Muttly1981 wrote:
    pastey_boy wrote:

Wouldn't be that bad if you did that anyway, nipped into the Chill Factor store for (hopefully) some new race kit and apart from a few pairs of Altura shorts and a few half decent mtb's the whole store is filled with road orientated garbage :evil: Asked one of the staff if they had any DH innertubes (all behind the counter now) he looked at me as if i'd asked him if he'd like to take a syringe full of AIDS filled blood in the eyeball.
    they really are terrible, not only did it take ages to come but it was the wrong headset, the time before i ordered a pair of disc only kona project 2 forks, when i ordered them the price on thesite was £39.99 but upon checking my invoice i had been charged £44.99. when i went to check the page it had conveniently disappeared. when i phone them im told i had made an error and that the price is right, im fuming but they are the only air i could find and i needed them so i continue with the order. few day later the forks turn upon for me to find they have sent a pair of canti only and not disc only forks yet the label on the forks state the are disc only ????? a few days pass and i take them to the chill factor store where im greeted by a snotty little member of staff who was either male or female but i couldnt tell, i explain the problem to the cocky little tranny only to be glared at like i dont know what im on about. i ask for a refund as they have no forks that i need, but im told that as i paid by paypal i have to pay to send them back as they cannot give me a refund although they are willing to give me store credit. my paypal payment was made over a week ago so the money is safe in their bank and on my invoice it says i can get a refund if i take back to any store with no mention of paypal being a problem (its hidden deep inside their t&c's on the website) so in all they mess up an order, i drive 20 miles and still they wont sort it unless i post them. `i should have learned after that but silly me went back.
    Viner Salviati
    Shark Aero Pro
    Px Ti Custom
    Cougar 531
    Sab single speed
    Argon 18 E-112 TT
    One-one Ti 456 Evo
    Ridley Cheetah TT
    Yeti ASR 5
    Cove Hummer XC Ti
  • pastey_boy
    had a comedy moment this afternoon, decided to put my ust rocket rons on, so i head off outside just bouncing up and down on the bike when suddenly BOOOOOOOOOOM the rear tyre blew off the rim thus covering me and the bike in creamy stans fluid. i had inflated the tyres to 45psi to seat them but i never expected to have one totally go on me like that. my next ride out will be a nervous one methinks.
    Viner Salviati
    Shark Aero Pro
    Px Ti Custom
    Cougar 531
    Sab single speed
    Argon 18 E-112 TT
    One-one Ti 456 Evo
    Ridley Cheetah TT
    Yeti ASR 5
    Cove Hummer XC Ti
  • pastey_boy
    heres a few more pics of my prophet. ive swapped the wheels over to a pair of fulcrum red metal 3's and the tyres to some maxxis advantage xc lust. also stuck a pair of red odi intense grips on. the previous wheels are going back on my azonic frame.
    CIMG0005-9.jpg
    CIMG0006-9.jpg
    CIMG0007-8.jpg
    CIMG0008-9.jpg
    CIMG0009-11.jpg
    CIMG0010-10.jpg
    CIMG0011-10.jpg
    CIMG0012-9.jpg
    CIMG0013-9.jpg
    CIMG0014-10.jpg
    CIMG0015-8.jpg
    CIMG0016-5.jpg
    CIMG0017-7.jpg
    CIMG0018-4.jpg
    CIMG0019-6.jpg
    CIMG0020-4.jpg
    CIMG0021-4.jpg
    CIMG0022-4.jpg
    CIMG0023-5.jpg
    CIMG0024-2.jpg
    CIMG0025-2.jpg
    Viner Salviati
    Shark Aero Pro
    Px Ti Custom
    Cougar 531
    Sab single speed
    Argon 18 E-112 TT
    One-one Ti 456 Evo
    Ridley Cheetah TT
    Yeti ASR 5
    Cove Hummer XC Ti
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    andddd.... it's ruined :lol: didn't take you long ;) wouldn't be your bike without any red though!!