pedals question ....again

tbeat
tbeat Posts: 119
edited March 2012 in MTB beginners
guys,
im looking for some new spd clipless pedals. I have shamino m520's, but when faced with downhill sections and slippery terrain i tend to clip out for moments that i need to react quickly to save myself. LOL

i was thinking maybe a clipless pedal with a cage so that i can still have a platform to push on when not connected?? or should i just man up and keep working on the ones i have...

Comments

• benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    The trail versions of the 520s (525s) are good for what you need. Highly recommended
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • Don't know how effective these are, as I've not seen any reviews, but interesting concept with spd one side and platform with pins the other?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/eXotic-AM-DH- ... 504wt_1139

zm_med_CC-PED05CD.jpg
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    I have always found dual use pedals a waste of time they do neither job well. and caged pedals only really give ninimal suport when clipped in and really do little to help when uncliped.

just keep the pedals you have and realise you may need to pedal with your shoe unclipped for a few strokes untill you can clip in.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • nicklouse wrote:
    I have always found dual use pedals a waste of time they do neither job well. and caged pedals only really give ninimal suport when clipped in and really do little to help when uncliped.

just keep the pedals you have and realise you may need to pedal with your shoe unclipped for a few strokes untill you can clip in.

I take it everything that doesn't work for you, won't work for the rest of the United Kingdom then?
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    nicklouse wrote:

I take it everything that doesn't work for you, won't work for the rest of the United Kingdom then?
    Nope.

hence the "I have always......"

But they are not the answer to much other than comuting. the number of then that we sold only to find sell dual sided SPD to them a few weeks later.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Crank Brothers Mallets.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    All the 'caged' SPDs or pedals do suffer the problem which is that the suck at being flatties. Its only worth doing for the stability they do give for a few seconds when you need it most. Pedals with either side are generally terrible as when you want them to be consistent (in the moment of instability) its pot luck as to what you end up with.

I still say Trail SPDs give you the best you can get from both though - reasonable weight, if anything easier clip in, and some platform for when you are unclipped. If they werent as cheap as £25 I wouldn't recommend you change, but at that price it seems worth it.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • Greer_
    Greer_ Posts: 1,716
    I started off with these:

shimano2.jpg

Then quickly changed to m520's. The cage did absolutely nothing to help (except making it a tiny bit easier to clip in). I can't see the trail pedals (M530) providing much more support. The cage is there for support when riding clipped in, not as an alternative to riding clipped out.
    The dual sided pedals (flat on one side, spd on the other) are just a disaster waiting to happen
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    nicklouse wrote:

This. Dual purpose do two things badly (in my experience)

These pedals are good; http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=67249 big enough platform that you can unclip and pedal for a bit quite easily.
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • +1 on the m530s.
    (but weigh a ton)
    2007 Felt Q720 (the ratbike)
    2012 Cube Ltd SL (the hardtail XC 26er)
    2014 Lapierre Zesty TR 329 (the full-sus 29er)
  • craigw99
    craigw99 Posts: 224
    I'm currently enjoying the new Mallet 1's, ATM they are a bit less silppy when not clipped in - I think its down to confidence - i used normal spd's for years but due to me having extended time away i feel i need a bit more confidence just now, you'll get used to whatever you use eventually -there is no holy grail of pedals
    opinions are worth exactly what you pay for them ;-)
    2012 boardman team F/S tarting has begun..
    1992 cannondale m1000 still going just
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    I'm stepping up to be the seemingly singular voice suggesting that you just stick to good flatties.
    That is all.
  • Ghostt
    Ghostt Posts: 192
    I'm stepping up to be the seemingly singular voice suggesting that you just stick to good flatties.
    That is all.
    Seconded. I made the switch back to a decent pair of flats a couple of weeks ago and find them so much better for trail riding. Mainly, I was sick of the damn things unclipping themselves. Was a particular problem if I'd just landed a jump and was rapidly approaching a second with one foot dangling...
    Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go - T.S. Eliot