Adjusting disc brakes

Wily-Quixote
Wily-Quixote Posts: 269
edited March 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Before you laugh at me... I just bought a new mtb last year after 12 years using v brakes...
My brake leaves are using their travel before I get braking effect. My supposition is: pads are worn need new pads or pads are fine levers need to be adjusted. Bike is a few months old brakes are shimano slx. How do I tell and how do I change them?

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    there will be a reach adjuster on the lever or body.
    have a look in the manual, links here http://techdocs.shimano.com/techdocs/index.jsp
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Pads will have vertical grooves on the face (like a car tyre), if the faces are worn flat and the grooves gone - you need new pads.

As Nicklouse says there will be a cable adjuster (like a barrel around where the cable enters the lever) which would be able to take up some slack. Tyr that first, if it cant reel in enough cable, then wind that back in (so the cable is slack again) and loosen the bolt that grips the cable at the brake end, pull tighter and retighten the bolt.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    benpinnick wrote:
    Pads will have vertical grooves on the face (like a car tyre), if the faces are worn flat and the grooves gone - you need new pads.

As Nicklouse says there will be a cable adjuster (like a barrel around where the cable enters the lever) which would be able to take up some slack. Tyr that first, if it cant reel in enough cable, then wind that back in (so the cable is slack again) and loosen the bolt that grips the cable at the brake end, pull tighter and retighten the bolt.
    err read the post ;)
    there should be a big knob on the front of the lever close to the pivot.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    lol... true indeed.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • Cool thanks.. There's no cable they're hydraulic. I can see a screw under the lever which if screwed would adjust lever play but I can't see any means of accessing it apart from removing the plate that says 'use only mineral oil' which may not be a good idea...
    I can't see grooves on the pads so I reckon that's the culprit... Is it as simple as removing the split pin and replacing the pads?
  • Just followed the link to shimano tech docs thanks for the help. Cheers.
  • 386ka
    386ka Posts: 479
    Wait, wait, are they hydraulic disc brakes?
    A much loved, Giant Trance X3 2010
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Not aware of any slx cables.....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • 386ka
    386ka Posts: 479
    Missed that one, I thought that he meant v-brakes in the beginning...
    A much loved, Giant Trance X3 2010