Saracen Raw-Pro Chili Forks seized?

garvey2003
garvey2003 Posts: 9
edited March 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi, I'm getting into mountain biking a little and I managed to get my hands on a FS Saracen Raw Pro. All in all its nice machine, Front disc brake, light frame comfy ride. One thing I will say is the front forks do not move.

I just thought the forks had become seized from a lack of use. Anyway, someone said make sure the forks are lockedout? not sure if mine have that. From what I can tell you is the stickers are DH Sporty. google seem to say the forks are Chili 550 DC if that means anything. I can't find any reference to the forks on the net let alonw a manual.

Any help would be great. Oh can I add the budget doesn't allow me to bin the forks and buy top of the range forks as a replacement :) I wish I did

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Photo's would help, but chilli are usually cheap RST forks. There is a good chance a strip, clean and regrease will help matters for a while, with photo's we can advice how to go about it!

Is it like this http://www.moredirt.co.uk/ratebike.php?id=27044

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cheers for the reply, its like this
    http://freespace.virgin.net/john.hendy/raw-pro.html

Coinsider its an entry level MTB for me to see if enjoy it enough to spend the money. easy enough to strip the forks down?
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    Christ almighty that's expensive for that bike :shock:
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    TBH I would bin the fork an fit a 100mm single crown fork. The existing ones will be full of crap. If a strip and grease does nothing I would not spend any more time on them.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • you think the forks will not have a lockdown? no movement at all
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Christ almighty that's expensive for that bike :shock:
    You think that's expensive? How about http://freespace.virgin.net/john.hendy/recoil.html

Surely no one is still selling new bikes with Judys on? Is that a live site or an archive?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    garvey2003 wrote:
    you think the forks will not have a lockdown? no movement at all
    If they have any adjustment of any type I would be very suprised.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    They won't have a lock on them, know, they may at a push have preload.

You can strip and clean without removing the forks from the bike, but taking them off makes it easier.

Undo the two bolts on the bottom about 3 turns and tap lightly with a hammer to loosen the engagement of uppen in lower until the bolt head is back flush, remove the bolts then pull the lowers off, clean out any shite in lowers and on bottoms of uppers, lightly grease the bushes in the lowers and refit.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • think the forks are knackered, I've undone the bottom screws and the lowers do not love at all. new forks it seems them