New crankset - what size?

scobbie
scobbie Posts: 21
edited March 2012 in MTB beginners
I currently have last year's Carrera Kraken and I want to replace the crankset on it. This is the one I am looking at

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=40496

There are a few different version you can buy but I am not sure what the numbers mean. How would I find out which one is right for my bike?

Also, would it be hard to install it myself?

Cheers in advance for the help.

Comments

• benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    175 22.32.44 would be the most common style. The 175 is the crank length (go shorter if you're short, longer if you're tall) and the 22.32.44 refers to the chain rings. Unless you really feel you need super high or low gearing, this is the normal set up for 95% of MTBs running 3 rings.

You'll need a BB tool suitable for Hollowtech II bottom brackets. Hopefully your old one is also that style, so you can remove and install with the same tool. However, I suspect you have SRAM 600 cranks, which are different style. You could take it to your LBS to remove the old ones and then fit the new ones yourself.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • scobbie
    Excellent :D thanks very much that was really helpful.

Just one more thing, how can I be sure the BB will fit my bike? I can't see any measurements for it, are they all the same size?
  • 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    scobbie wrote:
    Excellent :D thanks very much that was really helpful.

Just one more thing, how can I be sure the BB will fit my bike? I can't see any measurements for it, are they all the same size?

They are 68/73mm you just and spacers according to your bottom bracket width (Hollowtech bb)
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • scobbie
    Cheers mate. I'll get them ordered with a set of SPDs.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Don't forget that if you're going external bearing, you'll need to get the BB faced, around £15 at an LBS
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.