I'm sorry if this has been asked...

seng84
seng84 Posts: 6
edited March 2012 in Commuting general
a million times before but unfortunately I'm a total novice on this subject.

Due to the scandalous price of petrol these days I've been left with little choice than to start cycling the 25 mile round trip to work.

I'm going to be using my work's bike to work scheme and my budget is about 800 pounds including accesorieces so I have about 500 pounds to repay after the tax relief.

I have been into The Edinbrough Bike Coop near me and the helpful assistant has recommended getting a hybrid. I don't fancy a racer and I don't really feel like I need a mountain bike. I'm 6 foot 3 so wanted something comfortable.

So I guess I'm looking for a hybrid priced around 700. Can anyone assist?

Also, what are the main accesories I should be getting?

I'd be using it 99% for commuting on roads/tarmac. I may have the occasional ride out on a weekend but it's not really a consideration.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Poves
    Poves Posts: 23
    Hi and welcome,

A hybrid may be a good choice for the sort of use you will be giving your new cycle, alternatively it may be worth considering a touring cycle.
    Hybrids tend to be designed for on road with a small off road capability such as use on tow paths ( A front suspension fork may look cool - but will probably do little for your comfort - but add a lot of unnecessary weight on a bike used for commuting)
    A touring cycle is designed to cover miles quickly and comfortably - but also built strongly enough to be able to carry luggage etc. So a tourer may look a bit like a racing bike - but will be much better equipped and the frame geometry will be aimed at creating a comfortable and stable ride rather than a fast and responsive ride.

Most touring cycles have dropped handle bars....drop handle bars are often thought to be for racing only - but if you try cycling into a strong head wind on your way to work, you may wish you had chosen them and if you can get some with secondary levers on the tops that would be ideal.

If you are going to carry luggage a rack and some panniers will need to be on your list. Some cycles come with a rack already fitted - but if the cycle you choose doesn't have one, it is better to choose a cycle with the eyes for fitting built into the frame.

Mudguards also make a big difference to your comfort when cycling in rain, especially in the cold wet winter. So also consider waterproofs. When cycling in waterproofs it is easy to get just as wet through sweat as you would have done without them - so go for a fully breathable material such as Goretex. If possible always wear something that is high viz, when sharing roads with motorists, you really do want to be seen from a distance. Also ensure that you invest in some good lights. If you are cycling only in illuminated areas, your front light needs to make you visible to others - but if you will be cycling in poorly lit areas you will need a better light because you will need it to illuminate your way too.

Where will you be leaving your bicycle when you get to work, and where will it be stored at home? Whatever you answer may influence your choice of lock. I would recommend a good strong D lock preferably rated as Sold Secure Gold - along with a cable lock to secure wheels. These D locks are heavy - so you may be able to leave the lock at work to save lugging it with you each day - but unless you have a very secure garage attached to your house, I would recommend that you lock your bicycle in the shed or garage too (preferably to something that cannot be moved easily)

If commuting daily, you will need to carry a basic tool kit too. As a minimum I would suggest a small adjustable spanner, a small flat head screwdriver, a chain tool, a quick link chain link, tyre levers, a spare inner tube and a pump.
    Or save some weight and buy a cycle specific multi tool such as the ones made by Crank Bros or Topeak.
    I would also recommend carrying a cheap LED secondary set of lights as these are cheap, light and will get you out of a fix if a battery or bulb fails on your primary set.

You may also find that it worth paying to upgrade the saddle on the cycle when you get it....but saddles are a very personal thing (The Charge Spoon is a reasonably cheap, option that most people recommend for comfort and value)

I hope this gives you some ideas about what you want to look for
    Poves
  • oliverb
    oliverb Posts: 67
    Not sure on the exact bike but yes a hybrid does sound a good choice.
    £100 on accessories is quite limiting but you are prob correct spending as much as you can on the bike.

Depending on when you leave /return you may still need lights this time of year.
    Unless you journey is over unlit roads I would go for flashing LED lights front and back. As a car driver I always spot the bikes in traffic with flashing lights. They are also cheap to run and reliable.
    If it is light when you commute then leave the lights till the autumn.

Mudguards are also useful for commuting as there is nothing worse than the that black line up your front and back.

The other thing I would go for is a helmet.
    Helmets are a personal choice but I had very bad crash 4 years ago where the helmet took most of the impact to my head. I managed to walk away from it with just mild concussion.

The best time to get accessories is when you buy your bike as the bike shop will quite often throw bits in for free especially when they need to dump their winter stock this time of year.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Hybrids do vary though - some are basically road bikes with flat bars, other MTBs with thin tyres. Plus 'town' bikes that come pre fitted with racks and the like, but are usually heavy and lower specced.

It sounds to me the sporty road type is the way forward (do check if have mounts if you wish to fit accessories though). From EBC, this ticks a lot of boxes:

http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/product ... brid-bikes
  • oliverb
    oliverb Posts: 67
    I agree with Poves well worth looking into a tourer as well. A hybrid with flat handlebars is good in traffic as you are more upright but drop bars do give you many more riding positions. If you opt for a hybrid then bar ends give you a few more riding options. When I ride my mountain bike I spend most of the time on the bar ends. Again you may get a set thrown in for nothing when you buy your bike.

You will need to save up over the summer but a jacket made up of a Goretex type fabricas as stated by Poves will see you through from autumn to spring. All you do is adjust the layers underneath. Short sleeve when its warmer long sleeve when it get towards freezing then both when it gets well below freezing. My Goretex jacket also has zips under the arms and sides to let air in on the warmer days. The only regret I have is not buying one years ago.
  • seng84
    seng84 Posts: 6
    Thanks for all your help guys.

I'm thinking of going for this one:

http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/product ... tobello-12

thoughts?
  • Poves
    Hi again,

My thoughts on the bike you have posted are it's going to be quite a pricey cycle by the time you have kitted it out and I am not sure what it is about it that appeals over the others sold by EBC.

What about?

http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/product ... ring-bikes

Spend less and get more!

The tourer costs less, comes much better equipped and will probably be a nicer ride over the distance you will be commuting and as previously stated, drop bars are really a blessing when battling against a head wind.

If you really aren't sure about drop bars, you could always go for a flat bar model or even get EBC to swap them for you

Best advice now is go and test ride a few cycles - and see which suits you best, I would try a few different makes and different styles and go from there. Judge them on price, weight, equipment, looks - but essentially judge them on which feels most pleasant and comfortable to ride. If when you look at it you see an object of beauty so much the better.....or is that just me?

Happy shopping

Poves
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    That's not particularly good value IMHO though - the hiten fork will be a bone shaker, some pretty lowly parts and high weight too.

I agree with testing if you can
  • Poves
    I don't disagree with you Supersonic - about fork or weight - just trying to balance things and I am restricting the choice to what Edinburgh Bicycle Co-op have as that seems to be where Seng84 is going to buy from, and I know some Cycle to Work schemes are restricted to an individual provider. (Are you restricted to EBC Seng?)

My own preference would be spend more and go for a quality Reynolds frame such as 631..... but then I am perhaps prejudiced as that's what I have.

My experience is that a reasonable hi ten steel frame will give a better ride than an aluminium one and the weight of a fully kitted bicycle should not be compared with the weight of one that is stripped and will then need the fittings adding afterwards... (not talking about mountain bikes here where big fat tyres contribute to the cushioning effect lost by the different ride that aluminium alloys give)

But as stated already, it does come down to horses for courses and my perfect bike will be the next person's bone shaker - so best advice as already stated is test ride a few bikes of different styles (and if not tied in to EBC explore other suppliers too, although I believe EBC do have a good reputation) and then base decision on personal preference - but do consider the factors mentioned in the responses to your question.

Poves