A week in Eastern Europe

richard36
richard36 Posts: 346
edited April 2012 in Tour & expedition
I'd like to spend a week cycling in Eastern Europe ie. Poland, Romania etc.

I'm looking for somewhere that's scenic, cheap to eat, where I can wild camp at night, where the roads are nice and smooth, where the people are friendly etc. Which country best fits the bill and where do you suggest I go within that country - will probably do 70 miles a day

Cheers

Richard

Comments

• I used to live in Poland, where the people are extremely friendly, food and accommodation are cheap, and there is some very scenic countryside (especially in their lake district, north east of Warsaw) or in the hilld south of Krakow near the Slovak border. However, in all honesty, their road surfaces are not always smooth. But for my money you will have a better overall experience there than in most of the other countries of the region.
  • richard36
    Thanks for that, suffolk rider.
  • jc4lab
    jc4lab Posts: 554
    http://cycling.pl/index.php?id=79
    Did this same exact route but with another company.Some goods ideas here where to go if you wish to do it all DIY.
    jc
  • richard36
    jc4lab, thanks for that link. I take it you would recommend the Kracow - Dunajec route? Cheers - Richard
  • nick hanson
    nick hanson Posts: 1,655
    Should be nice quiet roads over there,with the amount of them over here :lol:
    so many cols,so little time!
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    Richard36 wrote:
    I'd like to spend a week cycling in Eastern Europe ie. Poland, Romania etc.

I'm looking for somewhere that's scenic, cheap to eat, where I can wild camp at night, where the roads are nice and smooth, where the people are friendly etc. Which country best fits the bill and where do you suggest I go within that country - will probably do 70 miles a day

Cheers

Richard

Why don't you ask Thomas Cook or such similar travel agent? Have you heard of Headwater cycling holidays?
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.
  • jc4lab
    jc4lab Posts: 554
    Richard 36..Not done Krakow to Dunejec...I was content with the route the cylcing holiday company took ie head first for a starting point in the high hills around Zakapane... from then on enjoy downhill cycling for miles and miles of easy cycling through the villages ...You see a lot (inc the Dunejec Gorge which needs only half a day to cycle through it).If you like it hilly then go the other way round.
    jc
  • ewa
    ewa Posts: 1
    Hi Richard

I run a charity that organises a 1000km bike ride across Poland each summer. This year we're doing a hilly route in and out of the southern border, finishing in Krakow. You can see our route at www.alinafoundation.org/cycle-poland-2012.html.

In the past we have done routes north to south across the country and the roads have actually been surprisingly good (better than some of the surfaces in London!). People are super friendly if you're on a bike too - though watch out for big trucks on the main roads. Accommodation and food still pretty cheap, especially in the rural areas. Dunajec, Krakow and Zakopane are all brilliant (I used to live in Krakow).

If you want any tips feel free to send me an email: info@alinafoundation.org

Enjoy your trip!

Ewa