recent visit to commuting chat made me laugh

team47b
team47b Posts: 6,424
edited March 2012 in The bottom bracket
To dispel any notions that commuters don't have a sense of humour/frontal lobe, this was said to me the other day to answer a bit of a pith take question about what constitutes a commuter, and made me laugh, well not out loud as is the popular pastime these days but more in a reserved johnny foreignner style, think chuckle with dodgy accent... no that's mexican, but near enough!

"I am assuming, from looking at your location, that you are not from the UK, and therefore may not quite get the British sense of humour/xenophobic tendencies. To remove any doubts, you are probably not a commuter in the truest sense, but you are more than welcome to contribute to the drivel that normally gets posted here. After all, we are all commuters on the path of life*
*example of typical drivel"

So be careful about What you put as your location, you may well get DM'd...coming over here stealing our threads with your existential questioning of our very raison d'etre ...etc :D

Paternalista pessoa Inglês! Sua mãe era um hamster e seu pai cheiro de sabugueiro! :D
my isetta is a 300cc bike

Comments

• MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    And what is a commuter in the truest sense ?
    Oh, I forget that unless you ride a biek to work in London, you're not a commuter :roll:
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • LeicesterLad
    LeicesterLad Posts: 3,908
    MattC59 wrote:
    Oh, I forget that unless you ride a biek to work in London, you're not a commuter :roll:

:lol: yeah I notice that, unless you partake in 'Commute Racing' and upload your data to Strava (from your flat 15 minute commute :roll: ) and live in Larndarn then its pointless entering into a discussion...
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    MattC59 wrote:

No. no, no you only have part of that right.

Yes you have to work in London but you also have to ride down Embankment.
  • Let us not forgot that London is the true centre of the Universe, particularly if you happen to be running the country ... ah sorry I mean London and the region outside the M25 known as the Badlands.
    Trainee BC level 2 coach ... and that's offical (30th June 2013)

Scott Addict R4 (2008)
    Scott Genius MC30 (2006)
    Quest carbon circa 1994 - winter bike
    Fuji Track Comp 2010
  • I saw this...
    rml380z wrote:
    So the other sections have "Let's look at girls" threads.
    And here we have "LOOK AT ME!!!!" threads.

Who says there aren't any t*ts on display in Commuting Chat?
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Let us not forgot that London is the true centre of the Universe, particularly if you happen to be running the country ... ah sorry I mean London and the region outside the M25 known as the Badlands.
    :lol::lol::lol::lol:
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • team47b
    MattC59 wrote:

I used to work in London and commuted for three years into a different city (I hated London so much!)

But in a rare attempt to answer what was obviously a rhetorical question about what is a commuter in the truest sense...

A professional cyclist is at work when he is on his bike and a commuter is at work when he gets off!

Well it made me laugh when it occurred to me :D
  • byke68
    byke68 Posts: 1,070
    And they all seem to work in an office - a big open plan office, probably public sector.
    Cannondale Trail 6 - crap brakes!
    Cannondale CAAD8
  • Dont mention them in the title they might come on this section :evil:

I commute by bike everyday, i hate it. It is a bit better than commuting by car but it is a necessary evil and id much rather get up when i want, go and ride some quiet roads and enjoy myself rather than drag myself out of bed and rush in to work on busy potholed roads surrounded by morons driving. Who wants to spend time on an internet forum talking about their commutes, its one of the shittest ways to start a day and you want to relive it and review it.

Can we have a section for those that read bike magazines while having a shit? I'm having a shit now actually and im not even saying that for comedic effect.
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    I farking love going to work, odd I know but its the riding, perhaps coming from a mountain bike background I love traffic; like moving metal trees, only they tend to catch me out more :lol:
  • Rigged
    Rigged Posts: 214
    team47b wrote:
    A professional cyclist is at work when he is on his bike and a commuter is at work when he gets off!

Well it made me laugh when it occurred to me :D

:lol: It made me chuckle too!
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    Dont mention them in the title they might come on this section :evil:

I commute by bike everyday, i hate it. It is a bit better than commuting by car but it is a necessary evil and id much rather get up when i want, go and ride some quiet roads and enjoy myself rather than drag myself out of bed and rush in to work on busy potholed roads surrounded by morons driving. Who wants to spend time on an internet forum talking about their commutes, its one of the shittest ways to start a day and you want to relive it and review it.

Can we have a section for those that read bike magazines while having a shoot? I'm having a shoot now actually and im not even saying that for comedic effect.

Hate to say ride to work is probably the best bit of the working day. :(
  • byke68
    I've rode in to work today and it was quite nice, then again I don't live in London. Just a shame about the state of some of the roads up here. Doesn't have to be a chore, just enjoy!

"I got lost in Newfoundland!"
    Cannondale CAAD8
  • se-po
    se-po Posts: 47
    There's the need of a section for who use the bike as a mean of transportation, other than for sport, but is not a commuter,or doesn't want to be confused for them.
  • team47b
    se-po wrote:
    There's the need of a section for who use the bike as a mean of transportation, other than for sport, but is not a commuter,or doesn't want to be confused for them.

I choose not to own a car, so do everything by bike.

I join in with the commuter thread 'cos I regularly have to go to the same place by bike and do something mundane and pointless that I don't enjoy and then cycle home again, and spend the rest of the time moaning about stuff, so on those days I am a commuter :D
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,241
    se-po wrote:

You could always post in more than one section of the forum.

:shock:
  • Redhog14
    Redhog14 Posts: 1,377
    I don't identify myself as a commuter, I am a cyclist and use my bike for transport, fun and sport. My comute by bike is usually the best part of my day, bike time is always worth it.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    byke68 wrote:
    And they all seem to work in an office - a big open plan office, probably public sector.

Interesting - you associate cycling to work with the public sector? Does that mean you work in the private sector and drive to work (presumably along with everyone else who works in the private sector?) I think you private sector types ought to get out of your big heavy cars and get some exercise - it would do you good - look at you; you are getting fat! :wink:
    Redhog14 wrote:
    I don't identify myself as a commuter, I am a cyclist and use my bike for transport, fun and sport. My comute by bike is usually the best part of my day, bike time is always worth it.

Maybe not but everyone else will identify yourself as a commuter because that is exactly what you are!!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Redhog14
    Redhog14 Posts: 1,377
    Rolf F wrote:
    byke68 wrote:

Interesting - you associate cycling to work with the public sector? Does that mean you work in the private sector and drive to work (presumably along with everyone else who works in the private sector?) I think you private sector types ought to get out of your big heavy cars and get some exercise - it would do you good - look at you; you are getting fat! :wink:
    Redhog14 wrote:

Maybe not but everyone else will identify yourself as a commuter because that is exactly what you are!!

Yes but I dont ride a Ridgeback!
  • rolf_f
    Redhog14 wrote:
    Yes but I dont ride a Ridgeback!

I'm not sure that that as a sole defence is going to get you off!
  • team47b
    One of my bikes is a Ridgeback and I am still not allowed in the commuter club as I choose not to work!
  • se-po
    I've got an old roadie to use in town, and I use it to go to work and to pub/cinema/stuff around...
    Am I a commuter?
    Is there a cure?
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    se-po wrote:
    I've got an old roadie to use in town, and I use it to go to work and to pub/cinema/stuff around...
    Am I a commuter?
    Is there a cure?

The question is do you ride for fun? Yes = normal, No = commuter
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • se-po
    Thanks! I'm normal :-D
  • rolf_f
    ddraver wrote:
    se-po wrote:
    Am I a commuter?
    Is there a cure?

The question is do you ride for fun? Yes = normal, No = commuter

Nooo, that doesn't work. Commuting on bike is fun. Even the folk in London would say that though personally I don't get it.

I think you might be pure commuter if you always take the most direct way in to work. My commutes vary from 9.5 miles to about 35 miles but the office is actually 7.5 miles from home!
  • ddraver
    Ah, but is the cycling the fun, or is screaming at cars the fun?
    - @ddraver
  • rolf_f
    TBH - again that's mostly a London thing as far as I can tell. I rarely need to scream at cars on my commute. But then most provincial cities have a pretty small centre really and most of the trip is no different to the more built up parts of my leisure rides.

If there is a difference to leisure cycling maybe its the feeling smug when passing traffic jams thing - but that can be pretty priceless. Heavy snow is particularly satisfying in that respect!
  • ddraver
    Hmmm, I think you re taking this more seriously than me....
    - @ddraver
  • rolf_f
    I take everything totally and utterly seriously - if only there was a smiley to represent that...... :|
  • byke68
    se-po wrote:
    Am I a commuter?
    Is there a cure?

COMMUTE~ Buy and use season ticket; travel esp. by train or car to and from one's daily work in city etc.

Hope that sorts that one out!
    I myself, ride 2 or 3 days a week to work and sometimes I use the bike at weekends just for the sake of it. So, therefore one can commute to and from work AND race/TT or do a club run. I will not be pigeon-holed, so ner.
    :mrgreen:
    Cannondale CAAD8