Marin bearing warranty

Sikora
Sikora Posts: 519
edited March 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
I've not approached my local Marin dealer about this yet. Wanted to get a few opinions off here first.

I've bought a 2008 Marin Mount Vision frame, which had the bearings replaced about 12 to 18 months ago(6 of which have been during my ownership and I've only done a handful of rides) at a Marin dealer.
I've taken the rear shock off to get it serviced and have discovered that the bearings need doing again. 2 are seized, 4 are gritty and the other 2 are ok
I don't expect to get these replaced under the lifetime warranty, but should I expect any new bearings I get fitted by a Marin dealer to be covered in the future? I know the bearings are something like £70-£80 before fitting, so I'd kind of expect a bearing with a "lifetime warranty" to last longer than 12 to 18 months.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    They are service parts so I would not expect any warranty.

But ou can always ask.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Are you the original owner?
  • Sikora
    Sikora Posts: 519
    supersonic wrote:
    Are you the original owner?

No second owner. I know I wont get them for free under the lifetime warranty, but nearly £80 is a lot for some new bearings. My Stumpjumper bearings were nowhere near that price
  • al2098
    al2098 Posts: 174
    "A lifetime warranty is usually a guarantee on the lifetime of the product on the market rather than the lifetime of the consumer. (the exact meaning should be defined in the actual warranty documentation). If a product has been discontinued and is no longer available, the warranty may last a limited period longer."
    Correct me if i'm wrong but Marin used to have a bit of a reputation for bunking on warranties. I would get my guns out and say '"Life means life!!"
    Sort it. (don't hold your breath)
    Santa Cruz had a lifetime bearing warranty which stated you had to send them the old beaings and they would send some new ones in the post from west coast USA when thay felt like it. You would of course pay for the fitting and labour ect.. Hardly worth it?
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Marin's warranty is for the lifetime of the original owner.

However if you have had bearings installed afterwards which you have paid for, you can expect a certain lifespan to be had. 12-18 months though would probably be argued by the retailer as 'wear and tear' - the onus is on you to prove they should be expected to last longer.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I'd take it in to a Marin dealer and just ask them to do it and mention you read in the manual about the lifetime warranty.
    In my experience they rarely ask for proof of ownership.
    If they do you are no worse off and can then decide what to do.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • andrewjoseph
    andrewjoseph Posts: 2,165
    Had a few marin bikes and frames from new, never paid for bearing replacements. my old whyte and marin mv went for a few years before main pivot bearings needed replacing.

my new mv frame (warranty replacement), needed new pivot bearings after about 2200km/ 22 months. so normal for my use.
    --
    Burls Ti Tourer for Tarmac, Saracen aluminium full suss for trails