Over inflating a tube

sandy771
sandy771 Posts: 368
edited March 2012 in MTB beginners
I put a 2.5 nevegal on the front a few weeks ago and left the standard tube (2.125?) in there. Had 4 punctures in just over a week but with no sign of thorns etc. Will using too small a tube have this effect?

Gone back to my nobby nic for the mo.

Comments

• danlikesbikes
    danlikesbikes Posts: 3,898
    You might need to check the cause of the punctures as the pressure you were running my have been low enough to get a pinch flat. Where the tyre rolls sideways, typically when cornering, and pinches the tube between the tyre rolled over and the rim.

The standard tube should expand enough to fit a larger tyre though again will depend on the pressure you had it inflated too as the larger the tyre with a large contact patch with the ground requires a lower pressure.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • sandy771
    sandy771 Posts: 368
    Thanks inflated to 38psi for both the nevegal and nobby nic, i wouldn't expect a pinch puncture at that pressure,
  • danlikesbikes
    danlikesbikes Posts: 3,898
    No neither would I - though the tyres themselves have a different sidewall construction but even so would not expect it to make that much of a difference.

Guess the easiest way is to try the Nev with a larger inner - though I just did a quick google search and quite a few people state they find the tyre easy to roll the tyre onto its side through corners so could be an stone impact rather than a thorn?

Like I said if you try them with a larger inner and no flats thats all that really matters and the cause is then not a problem.

Let me know what you think of them as lots of people rave about them being a bit heavier than others but giving great traction in the mud
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • delcol
    delcol Posts: 2,848
    this is the reason both my brother and i foooked the nevegals off even at 40 psi they would puncture, i was going through 1 sometimes 2 tubes aday on my hol in whistler.. i swaped them out for maxxis ardents.. not had many punctures since..
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    No issue on tube size, I run 1.0-1.5 tubes in my 2.1's and all my flats have had a matching thorn through the tyre!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • IMHO, it's like a balloon in a bucket.... A small balloon in a bucket will fill it, but the walls of the balloon will be thinner (more stretched) whereas a bigger balloon, designed to fit the bucket will have thicker walls (of the balloon) and less likely to puncture...

Cutting the stupid 'simple' explanations... A smaller tube will work, but the wall thickness will be thinner and more prone to punctures of any kind, (thorns, pinch flats etc)

Best advice.... Go Tubeless!!... :0)
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I concede a thinner tube wall may (just may) be more prone to pinch flats, but a thorn that has gone through a tyre will go through any tube!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.