Gone in 60 Seconds

The Northern Monkey
The Northern Monkey Posts: 19,174
edited March 2012 in The hub
I know there is a stolen section, but there's not much point really.

The Boardman is gone.

In the back of my 206, was emptying the car after an evening/night ride... locked the car, went into the flat for about 20-30 mins, looked back out to see my rear screen smashed and the car surrounded by police.

Neighbours seen it and called plod but the feckers were long gone :(

Just waiting for Autoglass to come repair my rear screen.

Depressed.

On a lighter note, I currently don't have to worry about the BB30 being a piece of sh!t.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    It is always the same.

If they can see it they will take it.

Sorry but way to common.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Yeah not much I could have done differently because of how my flat is :(

Just sat in the auto glass place having the rear screen repaired, gonna be a looooong wait!
  • Hmmmm, Boardman was up for sale, then not up for sale after lack of interest, then stolen a matter of weeks later.

Not suggesting anything, but.....

;)

Sorry to hear that though, although not TOO sorry as on the bright side you'll now be able to get a new shiny bike (assuming insurance pays out).
  • Only insured through the car insurance, can't afford the excess or to loose a year ncb :(
  • In which case I'm very sorry to hear about that, and I hope you get it back.

The fact the coppers were there so quickly surely must count for something, right?
  • streetvw
    streetvw Posts: 164
    that sucks a big time, hope the coppers get the feckers.
    they should bring back stoning it's the only way to deal with these scum

Kennett.jpg
    2011 Canyon Nerve XC7 viewtopic.php?t=12765275
  • In which case I'm very sorry to hear about that, and I hope you get it back.

The fact the coppers were there so quickly surely must count for something, right?

Yeah, to be fair they were really good.

Most likely to be students so the bike will have gone straight into a house/flat somewhere.

Had an email from the plod that I spoke to last night, sent over a few pics including the scratch on the top tube etc etc.

Fingers crossed really.

[crudcatcher response]I shouldn't have been such a d!ck and left the bike there in the 1st place, serves me right tbh. [/crudcatcher response]
  • ol\'gregg
    ol\'gregg Posts: 612
    Gutted for you mate. I'll keep an eye out for you as im always out and about around the area.

Andy
    gochel chan ddynion i mewn blew beisiau achos hwy cadernid bod eirth
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,718
    That's a real bummer NM, hope they catch the thieving scrotes. When I put one of my bikes in the back of the car I lock it with a bl00dy big chain lock to a chunky metal loop that keeps the rear seat in place, but I still feel nervous about doing that.

This is a bit of a stretch, but look on the bright side: you'll have to do more downhilling now you've only got the Canyon...
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    As I said on twitter. B*stards! Hope you get it back.

Keep an eye out for anyone following you home in future. And keep an eye on ebay and gumtree.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Cheers guys :)

All I'v been thinking is thank god it wasn't the Canyon... the Boardman was all paid for from selling the Meta over a year ago so its not as sore as it could be, but still.....
  • bellys
    bellys Posts: 456
    Don't think I need to say much Ben as we spoke on twitter not long after it happend.
    Keep your eye on free adds and eBay some thing might turn up.
    Also if you know any local dealers or users ask them to keep an eye out.
    My road bike was swapped of some weed then next day. Worth a try.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I know 2 people who recently got stolen bikes back, one was on ebay at a reputable 'cash converter' TYPE of place, the other a member of the club spotted some 'yoof' looking very out of place on an S-works enduro, challanged said yoof who ditched the bike and made like Usain Bolt.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • bails87
    I know 2 people who recently got stolen bikes back, one was on ebay at a reputable 'cash converter' TYPE of place, the other a member of the club spotted some 'yoof' looking very out of place on an S-works enduro, challanged said yoof who ditched the bike and made like Usain Bolt.

Simon
    Wouldn't he have been quicker on the bike? Mind you, probably demonstrates the intellect of thieves....
    MTB/CX

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    He may have been, but the chap had got close enough to be able to get a hand on the bike, besides he was in trainers and the bike still had the egg beaters fitted so he may have been struggling to actually ride it! (I did say he looked out of place on it!)

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • bluechair84
    bluechair84 Posts: 4,352
    I believe in punishment that suits the crime. I'd replace stoning with chainringing. Throwers can choose from a range of sizes depending on whether they think a 32 or a 44 will cause more damage.
    Fookers. It has given me food for thought - I've just bought an estate so I don't have to leave the bike on a rack outside of the car if I nip into a shop. Seems like anywhere but between your legs isn't safe for a bike.
  • Dude, such a shame to hear! I hate seeing stories like this, especially as I'm moving back to Cambridge in a month or so, and am absolutely paranoid after having various bikes and motorbikes nicked from my yard there. Hope you get yours back!
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Sorry to hear that, can't really see it being students though, slightly odd. :?
  • bails87
    njee20 wrote:
    Sorry to hear that, can't really see it being students though, slightly odd. :?
    Yeah, that seemed strange to me too. It seems like the work of a professional, someone who knew your bike was going to be there.

Why bother smashing a car window (noisy, attracts attention) and unloading £1ks worth of bike before either loading it into a waiting car/van or assembling it (I assume you have to remove at least one wheel to get it in your car) next to the smashed car when all you're going to do is ride a mile to uni and back every couple of days. You can do that on a £50 thing from ebay for a lot less hassle and risk.
    MTB/CX

• Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,718
    I believe in punishment that suits the crime. I'd replace stoning with chainringing. Throwers can choose from a range of sizes depending on whether they think a 32 or a 44 will cause more damage.
    Fookers. It has given me food for thought - I've just bought an estate so I don't have to leave the bike on a rack outside of the car if I nip into a shop. Seems like anywhere but between your legs isn't safe for a bike.
    Like I mentioned above, if you can lock it with a sturdy chain to something fixed inside the car, should be enough for popping into the shops etc.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • bails87
    I've got to be honest, it sounds like a planned robbery. Either they followed the OP back from where he was riding or they'd done it at some other point and were waiting for him. Regular evening ride on a certain day?

I just don't think someone walking past a car with a bike in the boot would do that on the off chance it was valuable. How did they even know the bike was in there to start with? Is the car parked on the road?

I always make sure that my bike is covered up when it's in the car, just to stop an opportunist spotting it and deciding to take it.
    MTB/CX

• Yeah i was thinking the same... its parked on the street but was covered with a sheet and wheels were on top so you couldnt see the frame!

Paranoid now :(
  • bails87
    So it was

Sheet
    Wheels
    Frame
    ?

Hmmmm, an opportunist just wouldn't have known there was a bike there. Be careful, whoever did it may well wait for an insurance replacement to be delivered before trying the same thing in a few weeks.
    MTB/CX

• they'll be lucky... no insurance :lol:

and yup... maybe seen the bar grips but you'd have to look pretty close!
  • bails87
    they'll be lucky... no insurance :lol:
    But you've still got the Canyon....that's what I meant.
    and yup... maybe seen the bar grips but you'd have to look pretty close!

Yep, just sounds a bit too coincidental tbh.
    MTB/CX

• Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    Sherlock Bails on the case, what did they look like Sherlock? :wink:
  • bails87
    Briggo wrote:
    Sherlock Bails on the case, what did they look like Sherlock? :wink:
    I checked the Daily Mail, it said they'd be forrins!
    MTB/CX

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    If it was so close to having got home, probably was a followed home job. Did they set the alarm off too?

One thing I'm very paranoid about is who's about when I'm getting the bike in or out of the car. It's the reason I won't get a roof rack or tow bar also. Major advertisement. I even get wary if the car behind has been following me for some time and going my way!
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    Good point - I've currently got the 3 proriders on the roof sitting outside the house. Better take the rack off and put it back in the garage.