Boonen whinging about sprints in 2012

rick_chasey
rick_chasey Posts: 72,586
edited March 2012 in Pro race

Comments

• prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    Meh he was whinging about sprints last year.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    makes you realise what a dangerous part of the sport that is - 40mph+ in a bunch and all riding on instinct - hats off to the beanster.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,150
    Boonen also added "in my day youngsters had more respect. You could leave you door open and if they stepped out of line they'd get a clip round the ear from the local bobby. There were only three TV channels so they'd play in the street. Now it's all PlayBoxes and XStations. I've still got my own teeth you know."
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • rick_chasey
    RichN95 wrote:
    Boonen also added "in my day youngsters had more respect. You could leave you door open and if they stepped out of line they'd get a clip round the ear from the local bobby. There were only three TV channels so they'd play in the street. Now it's all PlayBoxes and XStations. I've still got my own teeth you know."

I thought the same.

I doubt he's too wrong though.
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    He's done, isn't he? He's probably got a neatly folded car-rug and a box of tissues on the parcel shelf of his Lambo.

Tommeke is selective in that he didn't look a little further back to sprinting in the 80s and 90s - lads lobbing bidons, Abdu cutting everyone up, head-butts and elbow jabs, Kelly and Vanderarden knocking seven shades of sh!te out of each other at 40 mph. Even if sprinting is "more dangerous" now than a few years ago, it is still positively gentlemanly compared to the good old days.
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • danlikesbikes
    danlikesbikes Posts: 3,898
    Tough one that as he has a point as even this season there seem to have just been some stupid things happening at bunch sprints, though I think that might be more to do with the pure sprinters being not on top form right now and some of the younger and lower ranked teams trying to mix it up. Which is only a good thing that teams want to put their younger riders out there and if they push the boundaries and crash they will only end up being relegated and/or doc'd points as used to happen in McEwans day and still does now look at Cav and Renshaw.

Plus if they crash sure the peloton would let them know if they were out of line it happened last season so I don't know what his problem is.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,150
    In the latest Cycle Sport, there's an interview with O'Grady and McEwen, and O'Grady says that when he was a sprinter and he wanted to push someone about to get a wheel he'd target riders he knew had kids as they had less stomach for a fight.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • rick_chasey
    RichN95 wrote:
    In the latest Cycle Sport, there's an interview with O'Grady and McEwen, and O'Grady says that when he was a sprinter and he wanted to push someone about to get a wheel he'd target riders he knew had kids as they had less stomach for a fight.
    :roll: O'Grady.

Loves to ham it up.
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    RichN95 wrote:

Fathered or dating? Just wondering if O'Grady is going to start muscling in on Boonen now.
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • Crankbrother
    Crankbrother Posts: 1,695
    ^ well played sir ...
  • smithy21
    smithy21 Posts: 2,204
    He just sounds like an experienced pro to me. Picks his moments rather than going for everything with the young bucks.
  • rick_chasey
    smithy21 wrote:
    He just sounds like an experienced pro to me. Picks his moments rather than going for everything with the young bucks.

He's got very very picky then!!
  • smithy21
    smithy21 Posts: 2,204
    smithy21 wrote:

He's got very very picky then!!

:lol:

Worth keeping himself out of trouble if he is in shape for April 1 and 8.