cracked paint or frame?

Mike_Mac
Mike_Mac Posts: 42
edited March 2012 in Workshop
Hey,

Can someone re-assure me and tell me that these are cracks in the paint.

I am hoping as the crack appears at the lug line, that it is probably not a crack in the carbon

I have not had any unusual bangs -

please help!,

Cheers,

Mike

Comments

• Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Can't see from the photo but there is a mechanical joint between the rear stays and the drop-out - consequently there will be some micro-movements / flexion in use and because paint is relatively brittle, hairline cracks will appear. Likewise, you may also get the same where aluminium lugs are bonded into the carbon frame tubes. There is a reason why clear coat is popular for carbon frames.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Mike_Mac
    Thanks Monty!
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Phone Ribble. It's a common issue with a particular batch. They'll send it to Dedaccai and have the area repainted or the frame changed. Mines heading to Preston as I type this! :lol:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Mike_Mac
    Thanks Rolf,

Do you know any further details on the fault? Is it purely cosmetic or problem with the frame itself?

I guess this is an advert for using my LBS to purchase my bike! - I fear the hassle factor is going to be rather large !

Cheers,
  • rolf_f
    Thanks Rolf,

Do you know any further details on the fault? Is it purely cosmetic or problem with the frame itself?

I guess this is an advert for using my LBS to purchase my bike! - I fear the hassle factor is going to be rather large !

Cheers,

Mine first cracked about May last year - I'd probably been riding it regularly for a couple of months. The cracks grew until August and have been stable since. I've done about 5000 miles on it. According to Ribble the cracks are purely cosmetic but they recommend checking.

As for hassle - I had a right load of that with Parcelforce delivering the bike box to return it and then sorting a pickup. And I didn't enjoy packing it (in retrospect I probably should have just driven over to Preston) but Ribble themselves have been spot on about it. Some people end up with new frames, some with the back end repainted (someone is selling one of those now - I think it is on here). I think that takes a couple of months though (I should have sent mine off sooner!).

You have a two year guarantee on the frame so you could continue to use it over the summer. Either way, call them now and see what they say.
  • Mike_Mac
    I just got an email back from them confirming that it is purely cosmetic.

I have had it for around 2 years - so I guess out of warranty anyway. Besides I live now in Switzerland - I can't image the hassle it would be!

Bike number 2 is being put back in the shed tomorrow morning!

Thanks for your posts - really helped!

Mike
  • rolf_f
    I just got an email back from them confirming that it is purely cosmetic.

I have had it for around 2 years - so I guess out of warranty anyway. Besides I live now in Switzerland - I can't image the hassle it would be!

Bike number 2 is being put back in the shed tomorrow morning!

Thanks for your posts - really helped!

Mike

No probs. Would be interesting to know how they'd react to the age of the bike - as a known issue, you'd hope they would offer the fix anyway particularly but I'd agree it may not be worth the hassle. Not sure I've done the right thing sending mine back tbh! :lol:
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686

It'd be less hassle than using Parcelforce.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • Mike_Mac
    edited September 2022
    I should think you have done the right thing - you may want to resell one day....

Got two replies now from ribble - they were happy to repair (as long as I had proof of purchase) - not going to follow it up - good service none the less.

Learned never to use parcel force - I will keep in mind!

Cheers,

Mike
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    You're all spelling it wrong.

It's Parcelfarce.
  • bbrap
    bbrap Posts: 610
    I've been through the same process with Ribble but decided against sending back the bike. The 1st crack appeared after about 3 months riding but did not seem to creep any further. As they had assured me that it was not structural and my back wheel was not about to fall off I decided to tackle the issue myself. I used an "arctic white" paint which I had kicking about (its an acrylic used after repairing cracked ceramic toilet bowls and basins), I put a small dab on the underside of the bottom bracket to check for colour and found that it matched perfectly. Once happy with the match I just painted along the crack with a very fine artists brush. The paint seemed to wick into the crack by capiliary action. Once dry I put another thin layer over the crack and left for 24 hours to completely harden before riding. This was done nearly 8 months ago now and the crack does not seem to have reappeared so I deemed the repair a success. Also means that if I get any stone chips I can touch them in with confidence. Hope this helps. Sorry its a bit long for a 1st post but I am a long time lurker :-)
    Rose Xeon CDX 3100, Ultegra Di2 disc (nice weather)
    Ribble Gran Fondo, Campagnolo Centaur (winter bike)
    Van Raam 'O' Pair
    Land Rover (really nasty weather :lol: )
  • Mike_Mac
    Excellent idea! - Do you the brand name of the stuff do you? Even better - do you have any idea where I can pick up a small pot of the stuff on-line?

Cheers,

Mike
  • bbrap
    bbrap Posts: 610
    Mike,

The paint is by Cramer, I got the colour wrong in my 1st post, it is Alpine white not Arctic white as I stated. It came from this kit

http://www.plumbworld.co.uk/scratch-and ... t-1845-370

Not sure if you can just get the paint on its own. The paint is in a small rattle aerosol so is quite thin, I sprayed some into the lid before using a brush to apply to the frame.

Just had a look on fleabay and it does come up occasionally.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Cramer-Kitche ... 256e53e8a2

Cheers

Bill
    Rose Xeon CDX 3100, Ultegra Di2 disc (nice weather)
    Ribble Gran Fondo, Campagnolo Centaur (winter bike)
    Van Raam 'O' Pair
    Land Rover (really nasty weather :lol: )
  • Mike_Mac
    Bill,

You are a legend!

many many thanks!

Mike