Shimano SLX brakes

mastermosher
mastermosher Posts: 233
edited March 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
I am thinking of upgrading my elixir 1 brakes to shimano SLX or XT.
Should I buy the SLX/XT rotas or can I still keep the avid rotors.
Thanks for any help.
I don't mind what they say... as long as they say its enormous

Comments

• 386ka
    386ka Posts: 479
    You can keep the avid rotors. Just for info, what size are they?
    A much loved, Giant Trance X3 2010
  • Hi, thanks for the reply.
    The rotors are 180mm at front and 160mm at the rear.
  • 386ka
    You should have no problems fitting the new Shimano brakes. Use the existing mounting brackets, excluding the CPS washers that Avid use with their calipers (if you have any).
  • davewalsh
    davewalsh Posts: 587
    Keep the rotors but if your front brake adaptor is a Post-Post Avid one which looks like 2 tubes of different lengths with different length screws, this is only compatible with Avid calipers with CPS washers (the mounting surface isn't parallel top to bottom) so you'll have to swap it for a compatable one (superstar do them for a fiver!).
  • 386ka
    davewalsh wrote:
    Keep the rotors but if your front brake adaptor is a Post-Post Avid one which looks like 2 tubes of different lengths with different length screws, this is only compatible with Avid calipers with CPS washers (the mounting surface isn't parallel top to bottom) so you'll have to swap it for a compatable one (superstar do them for a fiver!).
    If the front is 180mm there shouldn't be any problem. The problems start if they are 185mm.
  • davewalsh
    davewalsh Posts: 587
    386ka wrote:
    If the front is 180mm there shouldn't be any problem. The problems start if they are 185mm.
    Having just looked at the latest design of adaptor, you may be right as it looks like the caliper mounting face of the adaptor is now flat. However as the bolt heads are no longer parallel with the caliper lugs, you need to ditch the CPS washers between the adaptor and caliper but keep the CPS washers between the bolt head and caliper.

Mastermosher - any chance of posting a close-up pic of your existing brake so we can see exactly what adaptor you have ?
  • Will post a picture of fron t and back later.