Volta a Catalunya 2012 *Spoilers*

Doobz
Doobz Posts: 2,800
edited March 2012 in Pro race
Starting in a few hours and seems there is not much hype about this race?

Some HUGE names and the profiles should make this awesome.

Dunno about anyone else but I am quite exited.. :oops:

profile-1.jpg
profile-2.jpg
profile-3.jpg
profile-4.jpg
profile-5.jpg
profile-6.jpg
profile-7.jpg
cartoon.jpg

Comments

• andyjr
    andyjr Posts: 635
    Indeed there are some big names riding. Should be very interesting & provide some clues towards the grand tours later in the season
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Haha, those profiles make this race look dangerously hilly!

Wiggins to ride calmly and for his teammates as far as I am aware.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • smithy21
    smithy21 Posts: 2,204
    Yes, it would appear so. Assume this is Uran's gig as far as Sky are concerned. Looking forward to seeing how he goes. I've always liked him as a rider.
  • frenchfighter
    route-map.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    Last three winners: Contador, Rodriguez, Valverde
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Doobz
    Doobz Posts: 2,800
    Just checked out the rider list again and there are so many names that need to step up to the plate and show some form.

I cant seem to recall if Andy Schleck is still riding or if he has some health issues?
    cartoon.jpg
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    Last three winners: Contador, Rodriguez, Valverde

Last three winners: Scarponi, Rodriguez, Valverde

This is a difficult one to call, Valverde is really the only one of the big favourites to have shown good form this year but there are lots of guys on that start list who are capable of winning.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • frenchfighter
    Queen stage last year where Contador attacked and soloed to the win to wrap up the GC. Good viewing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11BrgxGU ... r_embedded
    Contador is the Greatest
  • victorponf
    victorponf Posts: 1,187
    Stage 1 and provisional overall:
    1º 62 ALBASINI, Michael SUI GREENEDGE CYCLING TE 3:20:04
    2º 222 DELAPLACE, Anthony FRA SAUR-SOJASUN a 42
    3º 202 EDET, Nicolas FRA COFIDIS Le credit en a 01:14
    4º 172 VAN HUMMEL, Kenny NED VACANSOLEIL-DMC a 01:32
    5º 4 GASTAUER, Ben LUX AG2R LA MONDIALE a 01:32
    6º 215 KLUGE, Roger GER PROJECT 1t4i a 01:32
    7º 61 DAVIS, Allan AUS GREENEDGE CYCLING TE a 01:32
    8º 93 SABATINI, Fabio ITA LIQUIGAS-CANNONDALE a 01:32
    9º 155 APOLONIO, Davide ITA SKY PROCYCLING a 01:32
    10º 16 GAVAZZI, Francesco ITA ASTANA PRO TEAM a 01:32
    If you like Flandes, Roubaix or Eroica, you would like GP Canal de Castilla, www.gpcanaldecastilla.com
  • victorponf
    victorponf Posts: 1,187
    If you like Flandes, Roubaix or Eroica, you would like GP Canal de Castilla, www.gpcanaldecastilla.com
  • Ron Stuart
    Ron Stuart Posts: 1,242
    Only six riders from Sky!
  • frenchfighter
    edited March 2012
    So when I saw J-Rod not riding I thought it a little odd, especially as this route suits him nicely.

Then I see:
    @mrconde tweeted that "Purito got new cycling shoes during Tirreno, won the following stage but is now injuried in the Achilles tendon because of the new shoes."

And from the man himself:
    "I had very old shoes and decided to change them for new ones,” he stated from Tenerife in the Canary Islands, where he is currently recovering. “It was a mistake. I know very well that you should never do in a race, because sometimes a slight change in the position of the cleat can cause these problems, but I fell into the temptation and there is no turning back now.”

Rodriguez has been forced to take three days off the bike in order to try to get over the issue. He is being helped by the masseur Jaime Hernandez, who is trying to speed the process.

"I am here with Dani [team-mate Dani Moreno – ed.] and my massage therapist who is treating me with Indiba physiotherapy treatment [incorporating heat – ed.], which is most suitable for these cases. I hope to recover soon and that does not get worse."

Rodriguez, the 2010 UCI WorldTour champion, has had a solid start to the season. He was seventh in the Tour of Oman, won that penultimate stage of Tirreno-Adriatico and finished sixth overall. He’s got big goals for the year ahead, not least targetting a victory in one of the Ardennes Classics, and hopes to get back on track as soon as possible.

"I noticed the first discomfort in the last stage of the Tirreno, the day after my victory,” he said. “Fortunately I stopped in time and do not think the injury is very serious. I hope to recover and be in perfect condition for my next appointment, the GP Miguel Indurain and the Vuelta al Pais Vasco."

Read more: http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/11410 ... z1pb1Mze8W
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    Albasini:
    Albasini_Michael_GreenEdge12_portraitF.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • liquor box
    liquor box Posts: 184
    So when I saw J-Rod not riding I thought it a little odd, especially as this route suits him nicely.

Then I see:
    @mrconde tweeted that "Purito got new cycling shoes during Tirreno, won the following stage but is now injuried in the Achilles tendon because of the new shoes."

And from the man himself:
    "I had very old shoes and decided to change them for new ones,” he stated from Tenerife in the Canary Islands, where he is currently recovering. “It was a mistake. I know very well that you should never do in a race, because sometimes a slight change in the position of the cleat can cause these problems, but I fell into the temptation and there is no turning back now.”

Rodriguez has been forced to take three days off the bike in order to try to get over the issue. He is being helped by the masseur Jaime Hernandez, who is trying to speed the process.

"I am here with Dani [team-mate Dani Moreno – ed.] and my massage therapist who is treating me with Indiba physiotherapy treatment [incorporating heat – ed.], which is most suitable for these cases. I hope to recover soon and that does not get worse."

Rodriguez, the 2010 UCI WorldTour champion, has had a solid start to the season. He was seventh in the Tour of Oman, won that penultimate stage of Tirreno-Adriatico and finished sixth overall. He’s got big goals for the year ahead, not least targetting a victory in one of the Ardennes Classics, and hopes to get back on track as soon as possible.

"I noticed the first discomfort in the last stage of the Tirreno, the day after my victory,” he said. “Fortunately I stopped in time and do not think the injury is very serious. I hope to recover and be in perfect condition for my next appointment, the GP Miguel Indurain and the Vuelta al Pais Vasco."

Read more: http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/11410 ... z1pb1Mze8W
    I just dont understand how a pro team can allow this to happen.

Surely there is some way of measuring accurately the position of the cleat and repreating it on other shoes.

Good luck with recovery though
  • frenchfighter
    Stage 2 last climb is familiar training ground for many pros.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Anyone got some deets on the last climb today? Looks steep from the stage profile, but they can be misleading.
  • Gonna be a difficult to race to call cos it'll be decide in one stage. Any sensible GC rider would save himself for tomorrow.
  • frenchfighter
    Anyone got some deets on the last climb today? Looks steep from the stage profile, but they can be misleading.

6km at 5.5% av, max 8%
    Contador is the Greatest
  • ilm_zero7
    ilm_zero7 Posts: 2,213
    40 km to go and all fairly compact
    Snow tomorrow!
    http://veloviewer.com/SigImage.php?a=3370a&r=3&c=5&u=M&g=p&f=abcdefghij&z=a.png
    Wiliers: Cento Uno/Superleggera R and Zero 7. Bianchi Infinito CV and Oltre XR2
  • ilm_zero7
    Valverde reckons he is going to the TdF apparently - best show well here today, but it is the Omega boys pushing on right now
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,215
    ILM Zero7 wrote:
    Valverde reckons he is going to the TdF apparently - best show well here today, but it is the Omega boys pushing on right now

Who for?
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    ILM Zero7 wrote:

Who for?
    Leipheimer, I assume. Probably smarting a bit about P-N
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,215
    So he started?

I see.

Makes sense.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,069
    Anyone got some deets on the last climb today? Looks steep from the stage profile, but they can be misleading.

I've ridden both sides of it with Allan Peiper on a training camp and, when asked what category it would be if it was used in a race, he said either 2nd or 3rd depending on how late in the stage it was. I'm not sure how it makes it as a Cat 1, it's not particularly long or steep.
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Valverde 1 minute behind for some unknown reason.
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Tejay attacks, the Limpet latches on.
  • frenchfighter
    I think Valverde is 1min off the back of the peloton due to mechanicals but difficult to tell with the info available.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • ilm_zero7
    levi marking TJ very closely....

Valverde dropped, and all his helpers spent
  • ilm_zero7
    Sky looking very well drilled - 4 in the top 10 group
  • frenchfighter
    Huge effort by this Movistar rider to get Valverde back on
    Contador is the Greatest