Manchester based riders / groups

sdavies141
sdavies141 Posts: 49
edited March 2012 in MTB rides
Hi,

I have recently got back into MTBing, wondering if anyone based in Manchester is up for going out regularly or if there are any groups going out that I could join in with. I have ridden in most places in the NW and all the usual trail centres etc.

I am fairly comfortable on most terrain (just not 4 foot+ drop offs) and extremely keen, I have a car, happy to pick up locally.

I am 25 (if that makes a difference?)

Thanks

Sam

Comments

• stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    These guys are local Woollybacks MTB club. Not a member myself but I see them out regulary and have chatted with a few and they all seem nice guys and girls. The routes they have on there site are good I have ridden a lot of them and enjoyed them all.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • DodgeT
    DodgeT Posts: 2,255
    I occasionally go out with the woolybacks, as above, good bunch of peeps. There's also quite a few of us up this neck of the woods :)
    Lee Quarry and Gisburn are my regular haunts, more than welcome to come along sometime.
  • That would be great, what days do you normally go out, I am around next sunday ...
  • sdavies141 wrote:
    That would be great, what days do you normally go out, I am around next sunday ...

We (the club) ride every other Sunday and Every Thursday night for members.

But there are always NCR (Non Club Rides) going on which you are welcome to join in on but you won't be covered by the club insurance, which is only for members and only on official club rides.

Join the forum, say hello and ask about Newbie rides and NCR's

http://www.thewoollybacks.co.uk/forum.php
  • 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    sdavies141 wrote:
    That would be great, what days do you normally go out, I am around next sunday ...

I think me and dodget will be getting our Gizzy fix this sunday, usually get there for around 8:30am and stay till 11:30ish

I'm going defo cuz I need to waz my jump bike of some stuff!!!

and I'm 42 so your age is an advantage....
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • I could be keen, I am quite quick on technical ground but bottle it whenever there are tables involved so a few words of encouragement would be good!

Do you guys bother with pads (?)
  • DodgeT
    Usually do at Gisburn, especially for playing on the hope line etc. Will be full facing it too, can't mess the money maker :)
  • delcol
    delcol Posts: 2,848
    cyclejunkies is another club who meet up regular..

we can often be found at lee quarry or rivington most weekends.. gisburn to occasionally.. if we are out you welcome to hook up with us..

helmet always. when i out on the mtb i wear gloves knee and elbow pads.
  • 1mancity2
    sdavies141 wrote:
    I could be keen, I am quite quick on technical ground but bottle it whenever there are tables involved so a few words of encouragement would be good!

Do you guys bother with pads (?)

Yeah I do, better to be over prepared, don't worry if you have none I have a spare set of elbows and knee/shin pads you could use. Helmet and gloves also some glasses would be good as it can be a bit loose/wet.

There are tables etc on the hope line and you can roll them all, we usually play on there for a bit sessioning bits to try and look good (which never happens!)

If we do a loop its usually only 1/2 so we can play on the techy bits (leap of faith is getting nailed!!!)

So do I take the big bike or the jump bike? hmmmm and Delcol get your behind up gizzy as well....
  • DodgeT
    If your doing 1/2 a loop, you wont wanna be doing it on the bmx.
  • 1mancity2
    DodgeT wrote:
    If your doing 1/2 a loop, you wont wanna be doing it on the bmx.

Oi bmx?

Jump bike please :D
  • I don't have pads but helmet, glasses and all that I do have, well up for having a go at the techy bits, I will prob ride the rest of the loop after, as I really enjoy the hully gully bit ..... (that is if I am still feeling OK)

I drive a red fiesta what is your car so I can spot you there?

Sam
  • 1mancity2
    sdavies141 wrote:
    I don't have pads but helmet, glasses and all that I do have, well up for having a go at the techy bits, I will prob ride the rest of the loop after, as I really enjoy the hully gully bit ..... (that is if I am still feeling OK)

I drive a red fiesta what is your car so I can spot you there?

Sam

Park at the pub at Tossside Sam I have a Black Nivara and DodgeT has a silver Audi you can't miss us.

Pub post code BD23 4SQ
  • No worries, normally park at the car park, so pub will make a change.

see you there
  • delcol
    delcol Posts: 2,848
    Ally dont know if i can make it this weekend our kid is still fubar'd after his tumble last week at lee quarry looks like he may of cracked a rib.. and the little un has a fundraiser thing on at school for sports relief, so i think i have to attend that,, no play pass this weekend..

will let you know though nearer the weekend if we can make it.. would love to hit gizburn with you and tap into that local knowledge.. and hit the hope line a few times,,,
  • 1mancity2
    delcol wrote:
    Ally dont know if i can make it this weekend our kid is still fubar'd after his tumble last week at lee quarry looks like he may of cracked a rib.. and the little un has a fundraiser thing on at school for sports relief, so i think i have to attend that,, no play pass this weekend..

will let you know though nearer the weekend if we can make it.. would love to hit gizburn with you and tap into that local knowledge.. and hit the hope line a few times,,,

Get Ian on photo duty and we will defo get you your jumping mojo back by the end of play time bud.
  • DodgeT
    Whereabouts you coming from Sam?

Come on Col, as Ali says, good oppo for piccies too :)
  • any of the rides mentioned hardtail suitable ?
  • I live in Manchester City Centre, so coming from that sort of area .... drive a firest so can get another bike and person in the car if needed
  • DodgeT
    lilyjenks wrote:
    any of the rides mentioned hardtail suitable ?

Of course :)
    sdavies141 wrote:
    I live in Manchester City Centre, so coming from that sort of area .... drive a firest so can get another bike and person in the car if needed

Ah, OK, you'll be coming a diff way than me I guess.. Catch you there.
  • Guys - my bike has been at Evans for a new headset since monday ...... they ordered the wrong one, then got me to order one for them from CRC then lost that! So no headset in my bike as the old one had seized up. So can't ride tomorrow!

So frustrated as I was well up for Gizzie in the great weather tomorrow!

Next weekend any one (hopefully have a headset by then!)
  • DodgeT
    Not to worry, sure we'll be somewhere next weekend too.