Shimano 5600 shifters...ratchet gear replacement

parajba
parajba Posts: 95
edited March 2012 in Workshop
Hi everybody,

My Shimano 105 (5600) rear shifting performance is deteriorating. I've done around 20,000 miles on it in 2.5 years, I changed the cables/chains/cassette several times, I regularly clean and lub the drivetrain. Let's say that I look after the bike.

Problem is that the shifting performance (rear mech) is deteriorating. I checked the rear mech, the hanger is straight and there is nothing visibly wrong.

I did some research and it appears that after 15,000 miles the ratchet gear wears out on the 105.

Question is...where can I find the spare ratchet gear? ...any idea about the price...?

Help appreciated!

Comments

• Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    I'm afraid there's nothing much user-serviceable in a Shimano STI, you pretty well have to junk the lever and buy new ones - you can buy a new lever 'module' but it's typically the same price as a lever.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • parajba
    parajba Posts: 95
    Monty Dog wrote:
    I'm afraid there's nothing much user-serviceable in a Shimano STI, you pretty well have to junk the lever and buy new ones - you can buy a new lever 'module' but it's typically the same price as a lever.

Thanks for the kind reply...Pity! Looks like I need to fork out £160 for a pair of 105 levers... :(
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Have you tried squirting some WD40 into the shifter?
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    I'd use penetrating oil rather than WD40. I fixed an old Shimano RSX shifter that way :-)

WD40 will turn to gunk eventually, best avoided.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!