which bike?

anthdci
anthdci Posts: 543
edited March 2012 in Commuting general
I am looking to buy a new bike through the C2W scheme. I really like the idea of a specialized allez elite. But I am now thinking using a backpack might not be the most comfortable thing on a bike with such as drop over my 12-13mile commute. I will only be carrying a change of clothes and a towel (jeans, tshirt, no shoes). I know the 2012 allez doesn't have fixing for panniers.

My route is all on road and I want something as fast as possible so would rather not go for a CX bike like a specialized tricross instead. I have been reading about the SQR system and Topeak RX Beamrack but don't know if either will go on the allez, or if they will provide enough space for what I need to carry?

If not what would you do in my position?

Comments

• corshamjim
    corshamjim Posts: 234
    Personally I would use a saddlebag from http://www.carradice.co.uk along with one of their 'bagman' quick release saddlebag mounts. I have the 'Sport' Bagman Q/R mount on my Trek Pilot. If your towel is a small one, the Junior saddlebag would probably be big enough. That's what I use day-day for my packed lunch, some tools and a pair of waterproof trousers.

I wouldn't touch a seat-post mounting rack with a barge-pole, especially if you have a carbon seat-post.

If you do decide to go for the Carradice option, make sure the Bagman Q/R is supplied with their new Bagman Quick Release Adapter as it makes the Q/R process that much easier.
  • anthdci
    anthdci Posts: 543
    well having just done the commute on a bike for the first time this morning, but on my mountain bike, I am back onto a CX bike again (about the 5th time I have swung back and forth in 2 weeks). The route I take has a lot of bumpy pavement, so just need that little bit give, yet be pretty quick on the road sections. Back to square one. I now need to find a CX bike for about 700-800 leaving enough spends for panniers, mud guards and a lock. :?
  • godders1
    godders1 Posts: 750
    I would second the carradice saddlebag and bagman suggestion. The Super C saddlebag is 23L and can fit loads of stuff (I carry a fresh set of clothes, towel, shower gel, deodorant, tool kit, wallet, phone, keys etc) every day and it takes that lot easily and still looks relatively neat on the bike in my opinion (see pic in my sig).

Negatives are it isn't the cheapest solution (around £90 for bag and support) but the bag at least will probably last a lifetime so good value in the long run. Also because they're a little company making by hand the carradice stuff isn't always in stock.

Definitely worth the price and possibly the wait though.
  • godders1
    godders1 Posts: 750
    corshamjim wrote:
    If you do decide to go for the Carradice option, make sure the Bagman Q/R is supplied with their new Bagman Quick Release Adapter as it makes the Q/R process that much easier.
    That's a new one on me. Looks good, I'll have to invest!
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    corshamjim wrote:
    [...]

I wouldn't touch a seat-post mounting rack with a barge-pole, especially if you have a carbon seat-post.

[...]

In contrast, I've been using the Topeak one for a year and found it excellent. Easily swapped between bikes and with incorporated bungie cord, useful for odd items without the bag. I agree that it's probably not wise to use on a carbon post, but I have on a couple of occasions.

If they were responsible for bike issues, I'm sure there would be plenty of threads/posts moaning about them.