freewheel shinnanigans

Peanutt
Peanutt Posts: 229
edited March 2012 in Workshop
Hi,

Got the bike out this morning to go to work and as I pedalled off I didn't go anywhere, the chain was in place and the everything was turning as it should but just no drive. On closer inspection the big cog on the back was completely loose and waggling around, tried the next one down, same thing, and the next, and the next seems like the whole freewheel has separated somehow.

I've never seen this happen before but am now wondering if I'll ever be able to get the dang thing off as I won't be able to get any purchase with the freewheel extractor.

Any ideas?
No matter where you are, that's where you've been

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,273
    Freewheel or freehub?
    If it's a freewheel you need no purchase, if it's a modern freehub, you'll need to clamp it in a vice somehow and undo the lockring.
    Looks like the pawls got jammed.

Which hub are we talking about?
    left the forum March 2023
  • kippy
    kippy Posts: 26
    If its a freewheel and not a cassette hub you'll be able to remove it no problem as the tool uses the inner section that is fixed to the hub threads.
    sounds like replacement really is best soloution.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Whether it's a freewheel or a cassette on a freehub, sounds like the pawls have given-up. Best solution is to pop into your LBS and see what they say. Whilst you can sometimes resurrect them, it's usually only a temporary measure and replacement is the only effective solution.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Peanutt
    Peanutt Posts: 229
    thanks chaps, I have a load of old wheels in the workshop I'll nab a freewheel off one of those, great to know I don't need a chainwhip for a freewheel.
    No matter where you are, that's where you've been
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,273
    Peanutt wrote:
    thanks chaps, I have a load of old wheels in the workshop I'll nab a freewheel off one of those, great to know I don't need a chainwhip for a freewheel.

NO, but you need a lot of strength... typically they are stuck... there are two ways to unstuck them

The vice method... you place the tool in a vice, secured in place with a QR, and try to turn the wheel anticlockwise from the top like crazy until it comes undone

Or

You secure the tool in place with a QR, place a massive adjustable spanner around it and hammer on it until the thing comes loose...
    Make sure you remove the QR when it starts coming loose or you will destroy the threads on it... use an old one, even better
    left the forum March 2023
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    +1 to that.

I clamp the tool vertically in a vice which in turn is clamped in a Workmate. Sit the wheel on the tool so it's horizontal, and gravity keeps it engaged. Twist anticlockwise like you're heaving on the steering wheel of an old Routemaster bus.
    Keep the inflated tyre on the wheel; improves your grip on the thing.

Adjust your hernia truss as required.