How to prevent front brake being applied during car travel?

Plyphon
Plyphon Posts: 433
edited March 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Bought my first MTB a week ago,

First time owning discs.

The dude at the LBS said "don't ever pull [the front brake] when the wheel is out".

Just read on here why - piston popping out and fluid going everywhere. Right.

Is there any way to prevent this during travel with my bike in the boot? I have to take the front out to fit it in.

I don't want the bike to shift during travel or me just plain not notice as I load it, have the front lever applied and fluid pisses everywhere in my car!

Would sticking a credit card in between the pads work?

Comments

• mar_k
    mar_k Posts: 323
    Place a pice of card between the pads?
    Or turn the handle bars so the levers are facing upwards and not able to be pulled
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    You can get proper pad spacers that are specific to your brake so they stay put. I have a collection in the back of my car for all my different brakes.
  • andrewjoseph
    andrewjoseph Posts: 2,165
    magnum lollipop stick and rubber band/thin strip of inner tube. Eat the magnum first.
    --
    Burls Ti Tourer for Tarmac, Saracen aluminium full suss for trails
  • Plyphon
    peter413 wrote:
    You can get proper pad spacers that are specific to your brake so they stay put. I have a collection in the back of my car for all my different brakes.

interesting. ill look for the one for my brakes!
  • RIKO
    RIKO Posts: 559
    Try asking at your local bike shop that's what I usually do they normally have a few kicking around
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    They come with bike as new and should be supplied with the bike. If it was not hen I guess the hop has a whole pile of them somewhere.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Dirtrider
    Dirtrider Posts: 1,611
    piece of cardboard i use.

Although, i have also used allen keys, dragged a mtb glove into the gap, urm, and lots of other methods.
    For Sale:

Specialized P3 Frame

Marzocchi Z2 Atom 80mm
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Be careful?

I always carry my bike in the bike of my car, often with friends bikes and I've never ever had any problems, perhaps twice I've had to get a flat screwdriver out the reopen the pads, but it's not the end of the world, don't worry too much about the apocalyptic warnings.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    njee20 wrote:
    Be careful?

I always carry my bike in the bike of my car, often with friends bikes and I've never ever had any problems, perhaps twice I've had to get a flat screwdriver out the reopen the pads, but it's not the end of the world, don't worry too much about the apocalyptic warnings.
    Especially if they come from Mayans.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Plyphon
    ahh im just gonna go down the jam somthing in there route i think.
  • spursn17
    spursn17 Posts: 284
    I use one of those plastic wedges that you use to space laminate flooring away from the wall.

I've also used a 500ml plastic coke bottle wedged between the handlebars and the brake lever before.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Go back to bike shop they will have the right ones that came with the bike. If they are like my LBS they will try to charge you for them but then my LBS would probably try charge you for the air they have pumped into the suspension and tyres.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • GT_Dave
    GT_Dave Posts: 161
    I have a stack of beer mats in the boot, folded in half and jammed in there they work perfectly!

Take them out before you wash the bike first though as its no fun trying to remove soggy beer mat from between your pads!!