how many spacers and new fork

Cleat Eastwood
Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
edited March 2012 in Workshop
just putting in a new fork and not yet cut it. Have measured it to take 2 spacers under the stem but I'm wondering if i should make it 3 or 4 so I have a 'margin of error'. I guess what im asking is do you cut it to an 'exact fit' or do you give yourself room to maneuver if you fancy adding an extra spacer or 2.
The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.

Comments

• DF33
    DF33 Posts: 732
    I usually leave 10mm on for a month or so to be sure then cut it level. You can always buy another stem with a few degrees of rise if you need to once cut level.
    Peter
  • JamesB
    JamesB Posts: 1,184
    just putting in a new fork and not yet cut it. Have measured it to take 2 spacers under the stem but I'm wondering if i should make it 3 or 4 so I have a 'margin of error'. I guess what im asking is do you cut it to an 'exact fit' or do you give yourself room to maneuver if you fancy adding an extra spacer or 2.

pretty well same situation I`m in too ! Have just got a R230 frameset which has a fairly long headtube compared to its predecessor. Although cut to 6.5mm above top head bearing cap the stem sits right on (ie zero spacer) the bearing cap (previously I had 10mm spacers under on predecessor frame); but as I`m concerned about future positioning (eg what happens if have back problems?) I`m leaving the 6.5mm even though it looks a bit odd (and also using a 5 deg stem flipped to -5 deg will enable 10mm spacers under making it aesthetically more pleasing).

IMO it`s a case of measure twice -cut once, but also measure twice and wait :) then maybe cut
  • sandyballs
    sandyballs Posts: 577
    Someone will come along in a minute and just tell you to slam it, chuck all spacers in next doors garden, cut all excess and live with it.

Personally I would leave it until I had done a few good rides and then make the decision of where to cut.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,399
    Yeah, definitely give yourself some leeway at first. Let the protour rider delusions dissapate a bit ;)

You can always cut it again....
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver