Rebuilt my Revelation 426 MoCo not working - not enough oil?

gtd.
gtd. Posts: 626
edited March 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Rebuilt my 2009 Rev 426 fork Used 4fl Oz Only had a Pyrex jug to measure it :oops: (120ml) in the MoCo damper but it doesnt work, rebound is fine bit it wont lock out.

I've pushed the forks in and out 20 times with lock out off and floodgate open but it still doesnt work.

Not enough oil? I used Stendec Crystal Fork Fluid 5w as I neededed to bulk up an order from CRC so ordered 5wt, 15wt and fork grease.
Mountain: Orange Patriot FR, SubZero & Evo2LE.
Road: Tifosi Race Custom.
Do it all bike: Surly Disc Trucker 700c/29er

Comments

• toasty
    toasty Posts: 2,598
    Hard to say without seeing it, if there's not enough oil that's exactly what will happen though.
  • gtd.
    Think I need something more accurate to measure the oil than this. :lol:
    110-8425027A75UC904440M.jpg
    Fork is fine apart from the compression damper doing nothing must just be too little oil as I checked and lubed all the o-rings and glide rings they were fine. The CSU has a lot of wear but I got them cheap.

The foam rings were minging, I was a bit confused as they swelled up when I cleaned them with IPA
    2012-03-17170432.jpg
    but once they dried out they were fine.
    The lowers few full of oil/grease/goop so cleaned them with bottle brushes with foam bits on the end.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Flood gate open? Try closing it down a bit!
  • gtd.
    Played with the floodgate and its having no effect, if I turn rebound damping off its not making a noise I think it must be lack of oil reaching the compression damper.
    rev426-oil-chart.gif
    4 fl oz = 118.294118 ml I guess the damper is just above the oil level?

Might try my Reba damper see if that works. Would be easiser (for me) if it listed distance from the top of the tube as I can measure that.

Looks like I'll have to buy a big syringe or graduated cylinder.
  • gtd.
    Added more oil and it works, now need to drain it and refill with the correct amount :oops: