Fixie Hipster Douchebags?

GiantMike
GiantMike Posts: 3,139
edited March 2012 in The bottom bracket

Fixie Posers. WTF am I missing?? Do they actually ride or just hang around public toilets rubbing their nuts on the top tube? Is this just a load of townie ponces loitering around with beards and dodgy 'taches looking like people you'd keep your kids away from, or is there some kind of lifestyle awesomeness I'm too ignorant or uncool to appreciate?

Help!!!

fixie-hipster-bike.jpg

Comments

• tim_wand
    tim_wand Posts: 2,552
    Check out previous post on here and the Darkside "I ride a Mother F*ckin Bike"

Great for winter training (Less maintenance) and developing that oh so elusive supplesse (Smooth Cadence)
    also feckin hard work when not posing at cafe stops or doing track stands.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    I know what you mean, and agree with you. but, your sig made me chuckle given the context.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,167
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    Haven't got a picture of the finished article, but this is mine! It's fun for cycling around town on, even if they've become a bit mainstream now. I mean, I was the first to ride one in Loughborough, but now loads of the students have them. :x So I think I might have to start riding a penny farthing, prove I'm not some slave to the conventional definition of fashion.
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • joshr96
    joshr96 Posts: 153
    I posted a similar thread on another forum and they ended up calling me a troll :( I really do not like these bikes. Especially them state bikes made by the State Bicycle Company. They make any tom, dick or harry think they are a real road cyclist. And before anyone jumps on my back claiming that I cannot define a real cyclist, well, I may not be able to but you get the picture. There is an obvious difference between a person on a professional looking bike, with the right posture, wearing the correct clothes for the ride and a hipster on a multi-coloured bike, wearing jeans and a hoodie, hanging around a corner shop, not doing anything.. The main difference is that the real cyclist is actually moving, focused on where he/she is going. The hipsters who think they are real cyclists riding one of these essentially "plays out" on them.
    I support what you mean but it totally goes against your signature mate :)
    Carrera TDF 2011 Limited Edition.
    Crossbow Hybrid
    Boardman AiR 9.8 one day..
  • jehannum5
    jehannum5 Posts: 54
    I just admire their louche insouciance, given that they all must have outrageous chafing on their asses from riding a bike in jeans.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    They just look like nobbers, but fair play if thats what they want to to.
    Only codecil I will put in though is if they wear bow ties. I hate bow ties. Bow ties are worse than mini pumps strapped to frames.
    Bow ties are worse than normal cyclists wearing TDF of World champ winners jerseys.
    Bow ties are worse than questions about average speed.
    Bow ties are worse than questions about what bike for £300.
    Bow ties are worse than debates about Shimano vs Campagnolo. (Shimano wins, obviously)
    Bow ties are worse than the Great Decals thread from Ezyrider.
    Bow ties are worse than debates about Sportives being/not being races.

I hate bow ties and put with Fixie riding Douchebags, I'd ride over them in a big steamroller and terminate them with extreme predijuice.
    :D
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,424
    jehannum5 wrote:
    I just admire their louche insouciance, given that they all must have outrageous chafing on their asses from riding a bike in jeans.

not according to the succinct synopsis on another thread by Shutuplegs

"14 miles a day average is hardly going to merit the use of decent shorts and chamois cream" :D
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    Not sure if I dislike Fixie riders more or less than British people who use the word 'douchebag' to describe someone they don't like.
    :twisted:
  • Yawn. Fixiesm is soooo mid-to-late noughties, killed by the launch of the Bianchi Pista at the latest. Those impressionable folk would ride draisines if it was in fashion. And all that souplesse/ankling rubbish is the cycling equivalent of snake oil. Forcing yourself to adopt an exaggerated ankle motion is akin to joining the Ministry of Funny Walks. It has no impact on performance and may cause an injury, which is what happened to St Sheldon, RIP. As for fixies being good for training I'll leave it up to you to look up that article where a pro takes a sledgehammer to that particular myth as I can't be ar5ed at the moment.
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    generally you can tell if they are a hipster doucher if they look like they are mincing -> narrow handlebars particularly contribute to this.

I was picking my bike up from a service yesterday (it was free... don't judge me) and found it incredible hard to not laugh at this try-hard hipster mincing past with handlebars barely wide enough for his hands.
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    Only codecil I will put in though is if they wear bow ties. I hate bow ties. Bow ties are worse than mini pumps strapped to frames.
    Bow ties are worse than normal cyclists wearing TDF of World champ winners jerseys.
    Bow ties are worse than debates about Shimano vs Campagnolo. (Shimano wins, obviously)

I hate bow ties and put with Fixie riding Douchebags, I'd ride over them in a big steamroller and terminate them with extreme predijuice.

So you don't like them then ?
    :lol:
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    MattC59 wrote:

So you don't like them then ?
    :lol:
    You got it.
    You'd best not be wearing a bow tie when typing a message to me, sucka. :D